5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

RollCages!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: RollCages!

I don't know mean to be a poser, but I plan on putting in a 6 point weld in cage in my car. I am doing all of my chassis and suspension first. A second reason I am doing this is because I am using a five point harness. I know this means that I am going to have a slow car with a cage but it is just were I don't have the money to do it all at once. I hope this doesn't offend anybody. I thought a real roll bar or cage was supposed to go to the frame? just asking
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

fox bodies are unibody, need to add subframe connectors and i believe they do weld to the subframes or front/rear frame rails... but not posistive
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

subframe connectors are going on at the same time as the cage. I'm lucky enough to have family members that want to help me out with this and I want to tie it directly to the frame. I'm buying the competiton engineering roll bar. Is there anybody better for about the same price? I know jegs carries there own brand but I don't see anyone outside of that.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

www.maximummotorsports.com has a nice line of roll bars/cages too.

ORIGINAL: 86/02stang

subframe connectors are going on at the same time as the cage. I'm lucky enough to have family members that want to help me out with this and I want to tie it directly to the frame. I'm buying the competiton engineering roll bar. Is there anybody better for about the same price? I know jegs carries there own brand but I don't see anyone outside of that.
What MM has to say about Bolt vs. Weld roll bars, ....... and these guys know their shyt

Bolt-in vs. Weld-in Installation

The MM Roll Bars for hardtop Mustangs are designed to bolt to the chassis, without welding. With a bolt-in installation, the floorpan is sandwiched between the roll bar mounting pads and the back-up plates underneath the floorpan. There is a significant clamping force between the two pads, which provides a very secure installation.

While they may be welded-in, allowing a reduction in weight over a bolt-in installation because there is no backup pad on the other side, there are serious issues to consider. If the installer is not in the "expert welder" category, he may burn through the sheet metal of the chassis.

The MM Roll Bars for convertible Mustangs require that some welding to the floorpan be done. Someone who is in the "expert welder" category is required for installation of a convertible roll bar.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:13 PM
stangdriver627

Maximum Motorsports make a drag LEGAL bolt in cage with swing out door bars, they did an install of this cage in either 5.0 or MM&FF. They are safe as long as they are installed properly, there are many restrictions and regulations for roll cages, so if you decide to fab one up make sure to look into those regulations.

~Alex
Old 09-20-2006, 01:48 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

is there a good roll cage or that will fit in a hatchback? Or will a 4 or 6 point roll bar be better? I would still like to be able to have people sit in the back seat while cruising down the road and easy in and out for a daily driver but still protect well.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
342strokermotor

WOW! never realized that what I though tto be a simple inquiry, turned out to be a full blown debate =) ANyway, Bottom Line is, I Can Install A Bolt In RollCage? Aside of safety, Looks, Or **** Race Tracks, It is Possible, and I can Still Race!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 342strokermotor

WOW! never realized that what I though tto be a simple inquiry, turned out to be a full blown debate =) ANyway, Bottom Line is, I Can Install A Bolt In RollCage? Aside of safety, Looks, Or **** Race Tracks, It is Possible, and I can Still Race!
Yes, you CAN install a legal bolt in roll cage. The maximum motorsports cage is bolt in and legal, HOWEVER. you MUST weld the rear supports to the cage for it to be legal. They bolt on, you just need to weld them in place. But also, like it has been said before, welded is safer (if its welded properly). I am getting the Maximum Motorsports cage myself, and bolting it in, then welding the plates to the floor.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
MEM 302 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

why do you say you HAVE to have a roll cage for quarter mile times lower than 13.99 ??
Old 09-20-2006, 05:58 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

on a convertable. It is for safety reasons. If you run faster than that with a vert they will kick you off the track...although 13.99 sounds a little too slow. A stock 03-04 Cobra vert will run faster than that and they don't need a roll bar. I also know many lightnings that run below 11.9 without a roll bar as well. what gives?

Quick Reply: RollCages!