5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:10 PM
scooterstang
2nd Gear Member

Default brake question

I need new disks and drums, and not knowing much about cars i was wondering if when i put new disks on if they have to be the original 7' disk or if i can put 9' on without changing anything? and where can i buy these brakes
Old 09-21-2006, 04:20 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: brake question

if you upgrade the diameter of the rotor you'll need the brake caliper to match and mounting hardware, if your car is stock then stay with the stock size rotors and get good pads, dont buy ceramic!, also the rear drums/shoes should be sufficent, just replace the shoes with some bendix brand shoes and get the middle of the road drums and besure to replace the hardware in the rear, its only a few bucks and well worth it! if your car is running 12sec or you have the money to swap to a all wheel 5 lug disc setup then it'd be worth upgrading the diameter of the rotors...jmo
Old 09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

You don't have to upgrade you disc size to get some braking on your car. I just bought some drilled slotted rotors from ebay the same size as the stock ones just drilled slotted. They are great. They stop better then stock and they look bad ***. I kept my rear drum still though. I just had a friend paint the calipers and the drum so they can look good. I highly recommend those drilled slotted rotors. Oh I had ceramic pads put on my car they work great too. It makes less brake dust then the regular ones.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

drilled rotors are not recomended because when they get hot the rotor is more likely to warp, i have ssbrakes slotted rotors, also with those ceramic pads plan on changing those rotors soon....theres less brake pad dust because they are chewing the crap outta the rotors....its a fact
Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scooterstang

I need new disks and drums, and not knowing much about cars i was wondering if when i put new disks on if they have to be the original 7' disk or if i can put 9' on without changing anything? and where can i buy these brakes
um, first off, the SMALLEST rotor on a FOX was 9 inches...what year is your car?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
scooterstang
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys i appreciate help

Twister i have an 88lx and i was just going off by what i heard someone say. as i have said once before, i do not know much about cars sorry for the mix up
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

ORIGINAL: scooterstang

um, first off, the SMALLEST rotor on a FOX was 9 inches...what year is your car?
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 09-21-2006, 05:09 PM
85_HO_GT
2nd Gear Member

im not positive but i think if your running 15" wheels and upgrade to 9" rotors the calipers will rub the wheel.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

nine inch rotors are stock and wont rub 15" wheels with the proper backspacing.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

drilled rotors are not recomended because when they get hot the rotor is more likely to warp, i have ssbrakes slotted rotors, also with those ceramic pads plan on changing those rotors soon....theres less brake pad dust because they are chewing the crap outta the rotors....its a fact

I haven't a single problem with my system. It's actually been one of the best things I did to that car. As far as warping goes it's possible but rare depending on how many drilled holes the rotor has. The more holes it has the more likely to wrap due to the rotor being more fragile. Also the holes help the rotor cooler so warping is once again possible but rare. Quality also plays a factor in this. As far as ceramic pads go I had my system on for a year and not a single problem. If I can see brake dust on my rims then I know there are wearing out on the pad not the rotor. I will say I wouldn't recommend ceramic pads on regular rotors. They have no heat extractions on them .

Quick Reply: brake question