5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pump drive shaft fell into oil pan now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
junkstang

Default oil pump drive shaft fell into oil pan now what?

i was trying to put a new distributor into the car and it was really hard going in, so i pull it back out and i hear a clink type of noise, i lookin and the oil pump drive shaft lifted up and fell into the oil pan! How do i fix this? do i have to pull the motor? or can i just lift the motor up a few inches and pull the pan and fix this? thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: oil pump drive shaft fell into oil pan now what?

Yeah, you're going to have to pull the pan. Did you not have the star washer on the OP driveshaft?

- Jeff
7upedition
5th Gear Member

you'll have to jack the motor using a cherry picker since the jack cant go on the oil pan, and then drain the oil, pull the pan, fish out the shaft, and reassamble.... thats too bad man!
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

yeah you can take the pan off and fix it re prime the oil pump b4 u put the distrubtor back in
Old 09-22-2006, 12:34 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

oh man, same thing happened on my bronco. I just unbolted the oil pan, but i dont know if you can do that on a stang
Old 09-22-2006, 07:10 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

that really sucks....but while its off you might want to go ahead and get a melling high volume oil pump on it and put a reuseable one piece gasket on the car.....you can get the melling oil pump at autozone for like $30 and it even comes with a new oil pump driveshaft with a star washer so this wont happen again :-) Kinda hard to go wrong for $30 since you have to pull **** apart anyway.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

i was able to get mine out by draining the front sump's oil and using a magnetic antenna in the hole from the obolts goes to drain, its in the front sump, magnet on its face and out she comes.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

that really sucks....but while its off you might want to go ahead and get a melling high volume oil pump on it and put a reuseable one piece gasket on the car.....you can get the melling oil pump at autozone for like $30 and it even comes with a new oil pump driveshaft with a star washer so this wont happen again :-) Kinda hard to go wrong for $30 since you have to pull **** apart anyway.
Thats an excellent idea, that way when his motor starts to use oil and gets 1 to 1.5 quarts low and he revs to 6k it will pump the pan dry and it will be rebuild time. HV pumps are made for use on larger pans, ie. 7qt pans. Just get a new pump since your in there (stock volume) and a nice ARP pump shaft and one peice Oil pan gasket. $55 total and you have a new pump, no leaks, and insurance on no twisted/broken shafts.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Agreed on the high volume pump. Bad idea.

Before you do anything, I would get a long wand magnet and try to fish it out from the top (Who knows) or drag it along the bottom of the pan and get it out that way.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Oh geez, many people including myself run high volume oil pumps with stock pans with zero problems. It's not like its WAY higher volume and is going to suck your pan dry, it's about 25% more I believe.

Quick Reply: oil pump drive shaft fell into oil pan now what?