5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car dying please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:43 PM
94Saleen

Default Car dying please help!!!

Ok, guys im down to my last nerves. My car is giving me some issues. I have a 94 saleen clone 302 5.0 It is pretty much stock, it used to have a charger, and it was taken off, it still has an aermotive FPR, a few powerdyne acc. , and thats about it. Well, every other day it seems like it wants to give me trouble. It dies on me just driving down the road or sitting at idle at a stop sign. Well i replaced the PCV valve, and fuel filter and gave it a complete tuneup, and it was running fine. Im actually 3 hours north of home visiting my girlfriends parents right now. It got me here fine until about 10 miles out it started sputtering on me in 5th gear and then would just die. I would coast a littel bit, and then pop the clutch in 4th and it would start back up, now a couple times i popped the clutch it wouldnt even fire.

So luckily i made it here, and i tried to leave this morning and i didnt get a mile away and it was doing this again. It would crank just fine but wouldnt fire. So i just waited like 10 minutes and it cranked and i rushed back to her parents house. And thats where its sitting right now.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT< WHATEVER YOU THINK........I will take the best answers and try to fix it.

I dont have time to respond to the forum right now, so please dont be shy, be a mustang friend and call my cell and tell me what you think

(812) 391-0639 my name is Jason. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:23 PM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car dying please help!!!

my friend had this happening and it was because the pistons were cracked and it was looseing compression and since it was cracked, it wouldnt put power down to the tranny, so pretty much you beat the crap out of your engine to much and cracked a couple pistons
Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 PM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

dude im just messin, when was the last time you checked your fuel pump?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
94Saleen

well, i have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood and it stays about 47 psi, so this would mean the fuel pump was fine right??? i also just noticed that i have a new alternator, now the power wire from the alternator is about 4 gauge but halfway through to the battery it goes down to like 12 guage???? Could this be a problem??? the wire also is exposed so if it hits something like distributor or blaster cap or something would this cause the ecu or something to mess up??? Also, how long do you take the neg. off the battery to reset the ecu???

and can you adjust the fuel pressure?? I am running an aeromotive fpr??? no vaccuum.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

mine did that once before and it turned out it was the ignition coil going bad. when it would get hot it would shut down. or if you have an msd box it could be going bad also.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
94Saleen

so can i bypass the MSD box??? how do you test the ignition coil?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:07 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Saleen

well, i have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood and it stays about 47 psi, so this would mean the fuel pump was fine right??? i also just noticed that i have a new alternator, now the power wire from the alternator is about 4 gauge but halfway through to the battery it goes down to like 12 guage???? Could this be a problem??? the wire also is exposed so if it hits something like distributor or blaster cap or something would this cause the ecu or something to mess up??? Also, how long do you take the neg. off the battery to reset the ecu???

and can you adjust the fuel pressure?? I am running an aeromotive fpr??? no vaccuum.
That exposed wire will screw things up pretty bad. Since you are away from home cover it as well as you can with LOTS of electrical tape. Duct tape would do the job too. You just have to get that wire insulated.
When you get home, replace that entire section of wire with new 4gauge.

The regulator MUST have a vac input. If it doesn't then you will have fuel issues. There should be a nipple on the top (maybe on the side though) of the regulator that supplies a vac signal from the intake.
If you have 47 psi without the vac line hooked up to the regulator, then this will cause problems as well. Your fuel pressure should be around 38-40psi with the vac line off.

Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15min. You can also apply pressure to the brake pedal to drain the reserve power down quicker.

There are countless issues that can casue the symptoms you are experiencing. Don't go chasing every little problem that is brought up here. Start by pulling the codes from the computer. Since you are away from home, I will try to find a 'how to' for you.

jason
Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Pulling Codes...
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles...-iv_codes.html

Hope you get things sorted out

jason
Old 09-24-2006, 08:37 PM
94Saleen

but no codes show up, i checked it before i left home, also, how do you adjust the aftermarket fuel pressure, maybe its getting too much and clogging something up??? im not a cheif mechanic, so i ask you guys in major emergency in hope something will help out, thank you
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 PM
94Saleen

ok, well ive made it home THANK GOD!!!! it was a 3 hour drive and it died twice on me, when it dies i smell fuel really bad???? I had someone tell my my fuel pressures to high, i just recently got the car about 2 weeks ago, so i didnt do all the previous work. It used to have a supercharger. So do you think i should lower the fuel pressure?? and how do i do this?? its running about 47 psi with vacuum???? Let me know thanks

Quick Reply: Car dying please help!!!