5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MORE ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 AM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MORE ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!

Alright WTF....I take the car to autozone and it definitely is not charging. I find out that the wire I spliced into for the stator wire was the wrong one. I splice into the correct one and a new issue comes up. The freaking wiring burns up on me. One of the black wires with an orange stripe connects to a factory rubber bundle that splits into 5 different wires one of which goes from that connector to a fusible link. There are a couple that do this but one in particular goes from the bundle into a brown wire to a 18ga fusible link and then into a yellow wire with a white stripe. The brown wire burned up and caused quite a bit of smoke but the copper wire in the middle was fine...but the rubber is toast. What can be causing this? Why all of the sudden would this happen now? How can I fix this??? I was told to try removing the two black and orange wires from the alternator to cut down on the amount of power flowing through the wires and that didn't make a difference at all. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 AM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

Ok the larger wires on the back if the old alternator (black and orange or yellow) go to the terminal on the back of your new alt , i think it has a red ring around it on the alt. Be VERY careful not to overtighten that nut because you can brake the insulation and it will be a very bad short and will burn wires up if broken. Then you connect the single wire in the spot thats all by itself on the top of the alt. next to the plug. Then connect the plug and your 4ga. wire. Make sure you have power at the multiwire plug with the key on.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:52 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

make sure your positive lead is not taouching the case. My moms b/f did that on his stratus and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt hold a charge. turned out that he poped a fusable link
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Well nothing is touching the case of the alternator at all. Right now those two black with orange wires are not even connected and there is still enough power going through this one particular wire to melt the insulation on it to the point of smoking like crazy. How do I find out what is causing this?

Here is a quick picture of what I am talking about. I have no idea why the brown wire in this picture between the bundle and the fusible link is burning up...if there was a wire on either side grounding out then wouldn't other wires burn up too?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

this is how the 3g alt should be wired, when i did the conversion on my boy's 93 notch the color codes were the same, ford has usually been good about that, but here is a diagram i edited for you. These are the only wires to be hooked up during this conversion.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47622/1FB5A91547944C9DBFAD6B4DD7790647.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Well from what I have seen and been told the wiring has been done correctly....the wire that is burning up is near the coil and battery.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

If you a wire burning up, then something is not hooked up correctly or you have a short in your harness, one of the two, thats it.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

I will go back through everything. Is there any way to find out what that wire is for so I can test and see if there is a short somewhere that I am missing?

The wiring on the 86 year is totally different from other foxes...it does not have a stator wire at all nor a third wire from the plug. It has one plug with the two black with orange stripe, and the other plug has a white with red stripe and a yellow with white stripe. I was told by someone else who has done the 3g conversion on their 86 to splice into one of the two wires. I spliced into the white with red stripe and it was not charging so I spliced into the yellow with white stripe and this is what happened. The yellow with white is the wire that is in the s position on the plug I am pretty sure...but I will have to double check. The other side of the plug just has a hump where a wire goes in the future years.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Your best bet is to grab a haynes manual, the wiring diagrams are sufficent for this purpose, it will run you through all the connections as to what goes where. but use my diagram above for the 3g connections.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

the s position is the is the stator wire, that is what tickles the alternator to start the charge when the car is first started
the I position goes to the guage or idiot light
the A is the voltage sense wire where the regulator figures out how much to charge.

Quick Reply: MORE ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!