5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ideas on mounting gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 AM
89#155SaleeN
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ideas on mounting gauges?

they look to be autometer. May I also suggest looking into getting some gauge cups?
Ive used stuff like this before and it is pretty suttle. I would put them in the same spot as the tach and gauge holder, but you can angle them towards yourself.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89#155SaleeN

they look to be autometer. May I also suggest looking into getting some gauge cups?
Ive used stuff like this before and it is pretty suttle. I would put them in the same spot as the tach and gauge holder, but you can angle them towards yourself.

Thanks for the suggestion, 89. Maybe I will look into those. If I'm gonna do that though, I might as well just buy one of those gauge clusters from the auto supply stores, and mount it on the dash, next to the steering wheel (which I'm seriously considering at this point).

By the way, what do you guys think of those cheaper gauges that they sell at Pepboys and such? I found a set that looked great--I just don't want them to be inaccurate, or to shoot springs all over the car after a day or two. I mean, will they do the job?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

house302 can u post a pic of your dash? i was thinking of getting that tach + 2 other guage thing... id like to see it installed in a car
Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
house302
2nd Gear Member

i would like to but the only camera i have is my phone and for some reason when i try to upload a photo on here it will not let me. so if you send me your email address i know i can send pics through there.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

heres a nice under-the-radio setup.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/forarepa1.html

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I like the under-the-radio idea. I was trying to figure out a way to mount some gauges down there, and make it look clean. I found a cluster at Pepboys that almost looked like it would fit, but the whole setup including gauges was only 30 bucks. Even though it looked good, I was worried about the quality of such cheap gauges. At any rate, I'm going to go price a pillar mount setup tomorrow. If I don't find what I want, I'll order something from one of the links you guys have provided. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

heres a nice under-the-radio setup.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/forarepa1.html
Exactly what I was going to post. That relocation kit is very nice. You can get them on eBay sometimes as well.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

It will only work for one of them, but on the left side of the dash, right underneath where your headlight switches are and such, I mounted an L-shaped bracket with a rubber backing to reduce the vibration. The gauge cannot be seen from outside of the car, and the wiring tucked up rather nicelyunder the dash, so you can only see about an inch of wire. I'll try to get some pics up one of these days, but it's a good way to go. My old ones on the pillar got stolen the first week I had this car!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:54 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: house302

i agree with 4fit, thats what i am using in mine, i have the 5"tach, oil psi, water temp, and in my vent area i have fuel and volts. then when i have enough money i am going to get a speedometer and a plastic mount from florida50.com. so the only guage that would be in front of me is the speedometer.
that is the exact set-up i will eventually be going with. The kits from florida50 are awesome, if they made one where they can fit a 5" tach and matching speedo only in there I would get that.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:11 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

that was exactly what i was going to post, here is another link can get em anyway you want them cut out

http://gaugeplates.com/ford_fox.php
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the link, Ruger. I think I'm gonna go with that first cutout on the top of the page--the three-gauge one. That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ideas on mounting gauges?