5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help!

I decided to check out some stuff myself. I found there was arcing on the rotor blade and some whitish build up inside of the distributor cap. Then I found out that for some reason the #3 cylinder spark plug was only gapped at like .033" which I believe is too small of a gap which could mean cylinder #3 was running very rich? I replaced cap&rotor, and also new bosch spark plugs, but my accel plug wires are still new. Thinking about replacing oxygen sensors since they are usually the cause for failing emissions. Just did an oil change with synthetic blend. Also I moved my timing to 13* to try and help with the unburnt fuel( previosly I set it at 11*). Do you think I am on the right track so far and would it be a good idea to just put on new oxygen sensors? Because sometimes o-2 sensors are not working efficiently even if they show proper voltage.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:10 AM
ridebmx4140
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help!

i failed w/ the same problem about 4 months ago. my hydrocarbons were twice the limit. i brought it to my buddys shop cuz i was running out of ideas and they did some checks and it turned out my mass air sensor was out of range. i had a stock one at the time (i believe its a 55mm) so i replaced it w/ the same one and my car passed w/ flying colors. try it and see if that works for u. good luck