5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New best tonight...then almost wrecked the car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New best tonight...then almost wrecked the car.

ORIGINAL: Dirty Sanchez

Yeah, but after seeing that kind of boost, I was waiting for my oil pressure to nose dive. I'm just glad it happened early and briefly, where I could get out of it before any damage was done.

Man i believe it, im just surprised you didnt blow a head gasket or crack a main cap or something. Good thing you checked ur boost gauge, other wise you might have ended up with 2 4 cylinders under your hood.

What kinda hp would that have put your engine at? Like 600-650 for a breef second? Thats really amazing that you didnt damage anything on that, i wouldnt let my buddy mess with the boost controller anymore.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

I'd think that much boost maxed that little 62mm turbo out, which would probably put it somewhere between 600-650. There were a couple traces of blow-by after that, but nothing bad. I've been very lucky, and to be honest, can't believe I haven't blown a head gasket. Hope I just didn't jinx myself.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:07 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I'd think that much boost maxed that little 62mm turbo out, which would probably put it somewhere between 600-650. There were a couple traces of blow-by after that, but nothing bad. I've been very lucky, and to be honest, can't believe I haven't blown a head gasket. Hope I just didn't jinx myself.

Man, just shows how stout the little 5.0 bottoms are. Id at least go through and do a compression check, etc, make sure you dont blow it up on the next trip down to the strip.

Lol, i was thinking about the 62mm Turbo and 20psi I was like man, that little turbo can make some boost! I would have thought a spike up to 20psi would have just blew a gasket, or both gaskets...or even an intake gasket or a rear seal or something! Your lucky..very very lucky. If it were me...i would have probably blown the crank out of the bottom end or something like that, i have no luck but bad luck.[:-]
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

I need to do another compression check, it's been a few months. The 5.0's never cease to amaze me. When it ever come's time to get rid of this particular block, I'll have a hard time letting it go.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I need to do another compression check, it's been a few months. The 5.0's never cease to amaze me. When it ever come's time to get rid of this particular block, I'll have a hard time letting it go.

You just gonna 'reload' the bottom end with another fresh stock bottom when it comes time to do away with that block? Then put all your regular equipment back on it?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Youre putting out those kind of numbers on a stock 302 with a hellion turbo? thats pretty badass. i might look into that. Does it pull hard on the bottom end? is that turbo lag stuff just a bunch of bs?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:39 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XPBaller

Youre putting out those kind of numbers on a stock 302 with a hellion turbo? thats pretty badass. i might look into that. Does it pull hard on the bottom end? is that turbo lag stuff just a bunch of bs?

Yea, but it takes its toll on the stock bottom end, the blocks break, thats why he was saying he was expecting his oil pressure to nose dive, he got extremely lucky on that, a 20psi boost spike, as we said should have put that motor in the 600-650hp range for a breif few seconds, but a second is all it takes to split or crack a block and bust a piston. My jaw is still open that he didnt blow a head gasket, or an intake gasket or hair fracture a main webb.

You still get some lag, but you can mess around with different sizes of exhaust housings to get it to almost be instant power, but you pay for the instant power with less top end power. Hellion turbo kits are awesome, great bang for the buck going on there, a local guys got one with similar results to DirtySanchez, and by the way....he made all that power on a almost bone stock 5.0 engine. Gotta love turbo's! This is why im going with a turbo set up, like i say in my sig.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

88stangaruu is correct.

As far as the lag goes, it's nothing near what people make it out to be. For me, it's non-existant at the track since I use a transbrake and a two-step. Depending on where the MBC is set, it's making 6-10psi (or 20psi) before the lights drop.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:28 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I have new tires and I dont drive her in the rain!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

6.8 at 102 i can only imagine your 1/4... !!!!!!!!! Nice times dude

Quick Reply: New best tonight...then almost wrecked the car.