5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:13 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Default how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--

Sorry if this seems basic but....

What are your favorite must have tools?

What does a newbie need-- or should have

code reader??? what one?? do they work on all models???? different years???
timing light????

I have no Idea what tools I should have and what things I should check on my 5.0 to make sure the car is ok. you know a base line starting point.

All suggestions appreciated
Old 10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--

timing light and a volt meter are a good start
Old 10-01-2006, 10:20 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

+1, you could go for a compression tester as well. A volt meter is a must, though. At Sears they have a volt/dwell/tachometer all in one kinda thing, it's pretty cool. You can get a code reader specific for Ford cars at Advance or some place similar. Do you mean gadget like tools like this stuff, or actual tools also? Cause a man can never have enough tools, lol.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:22 PM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

Actual tools also. Dont mean to hijak the thread, but im interested too.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:22 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

a BIG floor jack and 4 way
Old 10-01-2006, 10:24 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

To start off with, a good set of hand tool. Ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers and other cool fun shiny things like that. From there I seem to get a new tool everytime I come across a time that I need one. Those days are usually good. Also a good torque wrench.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

+1, you could go for a compression tester as well. A volt meter is a must, though. At Sears they have a volt/dwell/tachometer all in one kinda thing, it's pretty cool. You can get a code reader specific for Ford cars at Advance or some place similar. Do you mean gadget like tools like this stuff, or actual tools also? Cause a man can never have enough tools, lol.

Any and all-- I have a digital multi meter I use in computer work, i have a jack,stands ,oil filter wrench ,socket set, but would have no idea what timing light to buy, I didn't even think compression, some sort of computer tester(code reader) any specialty tool that everyone eventually will use and when I need it the store will be closed. you can name by brand or model number or just stay basic.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Well there's your obvious stuff like ratchet and sockets, wrenches (ratcheting wrenches are a lifesaver at times), a breaker bar for getting stuck nuts or bolts loose, you definitely need a floor jack and jack stands, a torque wrench is handy but not completely necessary...I guess I'm spoiled because I have basically everything a guy could need for hand tools, plus I have a lot of air tools as well like a die grinder and an impact wrench, as well as a cutting torch, welder, etc.

Most people underestimate the kind of investment that a good amount of tools is.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:29 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: squad272

Any and all-- I have a digital multi meter I use in computer work, i have a jack,stands ,oil filter wrench ,socket set, but would have no idea what timing light to buy, I didn't even think compression, some sort of computer tester(code reader) any specialty tool that everyone eventually will use and when I need it the store will be closed. you can name by brand or model number or just stay basic.

There really isn't that much of a difference, just get whatever brand is cheapest, the quality isn't really an issue cause it's not that complicated and it's not like you use it constantly. Go to Advance or Autozone or whatever, and they will have a little section with code readers, and it will tell you on the box which one will read the codes on your car.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Well there's your obvious stuff like ratchet and sockets, wrenches (ratcheting wrenches are a lifesaver at times), a breaker bar for getting stuck nuts or bolts loose, you definitely need a floor jack and jack stands, a torque wrench is handy but not completely necessary...I guess I'm spoiled because I have basically everything a guy could need for hand tools, plus I have a lot of air tools as well like a die grinder and an impact wrench, as well as a cutting torch, welder, etc.

Most people underestimate the kind of investment that a good amount of tools is.
$$$$ is kind of why I'm asking. I don't want to spend on what I don't really need, but want to be able to get a good baseline( and some practice) on basic tools and what the timing looks like or should be , the eng compresssion, fuel pressure and other things, it might help me find a problem in the future. plus reading all of these theads has got me itcing for things like cai,shifter,TB, 3.73 or 4.10 rear. I don't want to race really but I have always wanted to do this stuff.

Quick Reply: how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--