5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cheapest gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Cheapest gas tank?

Well, I am gonna try and order a new tank tonight so I can get rid of my leaky one. Just too dangerous for me. Where is the cheapest one? 50resto wants $139 and 1aauto.com wants $99 for the same tank. I am gonna buy the new installation kit with it which includes new straps, gasket, inlet from body, and other things. Do any of you know where I can get it cheaper than that brand new? Just want a good deal. Also, I need to get some feedback on a few questions.

1. What are the correct steps to drop the tank in a GT with the ground effects?

2. Can you siphon the fuel outta one? I got a 96% full tank and dont wanna get squished.

3. About how long should it take and how do I get to the pump? Drop tank first, or remove a cover inside the car and take it out through the inside of the car?

Thanks in advance.....
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cheapest gas tank?

Hey; Try this. www.car-parts.com
Wrecking yards that list/sell parts online......
Get yourself a manual for you car a Pep boys/Checker/Auto zone........
Gas tanks are something to be real careful with..........
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Yea i know. That is why I want expert advice from you guys that have done this before. I hate to have to replace it, but if I'm gonna rebuild this car, I want it done right. I plan on giving it to my son when he is 16. He is 4 months old now. So I want it done right so it will be around for a long time to come. For the life of me I cannot siphon the gas out of it. I have tried everything but nothing will come out. Did they have anything in the tanks on an 88 to deter that? I know they do on new models, but didnt think they started that back then..... I am new to Stangs so need all the help I can get. But regardless of the hundreds of hours and dollars that lay ahead, I am more excited about this than winning the lottery!!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

just be careful about it to make sure you around when your son turns 16. seriously you never know what can happen. but ya sorry to break the news to ya but stangs can and most of the time will be expensive lol. good luck on the job!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

1. go to walmart they have a gas tank siphon with a squeeze pump on it for $15, use that to siphon MOST of the gas out.
2. Get a floor jack, not that scissor jack crap a hydraulic floor jack, also $15 at walmart
3. Raise the jack to the center of the protective cover on the tank (dont raise the tank just barely touch it).
4. take the "holding" bolt out of the tank that holds the filler neck, i believe its an 8mm.
5. take the two tank straps loose 13mm or 1/2" which ever you prefer
6. take a magnet ( iuse a retractable one from autozone it was $1) and pull out the pins that hold the straps in place (makes it ALOT easier)
7. lower the tank about 5" then slide the filler neck out of the tank (its easier when you wiggle the tank towards the front of the car then back to the rear) while you get a helper to support the tank
8. balance the tank on the jack while you lower the jack completely

before you replace the tank, MAKE sure you replace the filler neck to tank seal if you dont believe me ask 865.0L.

i hope this helped you out a lil bit
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Got mine from Spectre for 130 from my work. Autozone has emm cheap.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:12 AM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

Search on EBAY I was thinking of changing mine and found one on there for under a $100 bucks shipped. I didn't buy it I'm going to take mine off first before I buy. I just need to change the fuel pump, but was thinking while I had it out I'd just as well change the tank also.

I just posted a couple of days ago about this and someone posted this link: http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/pumpinstall.html

Good luck and be safe.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help. I will probably go ahead with the one I found for $100. My main concern is, I have that siphon pump you were talking about, but it seems like I cant get it into the tank far enough to get to the fuel and the tank is full. Nothing will come out and it sounds like it is sucking air.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Am I the only person who goes to junkyards for this kind of stuff? [&:]

Go to a junkyard and get one for like $30 bucks!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Wekk gas tanks you really dont wanna get at a junk yard, you would have to clean them out, and you never know it the baffle is broken or if it leaks

Quick Reply: Cheapest gas tank?