5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What electric fan is best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Default What electric fan is best?

I'm sure this topic will get lots of opinions :-) I'd like to get rid of the clutch fan on my moderately modified 89 5.0. I've read a bit about the Black Magic fans and some say they are garbage, some talk about the Mark VIII fans but think that might be overkill and also some complain they burnout pretty easily. Additionally, anyone have any tips on installation??? I'd like to have a pretty factory look when done and also have it pretty maintenance free, I'd rather not have some cheesy probes sticking into my radiator. is there anyway to wire into the computer or temp sensor that is factory??? Can't wait to hear all your opinions and idea's!!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What electric fan is best?

i'm gettin 2 12" fans to put on my car from ebay... both 20 bucks each plus like 5 bucks shipping each
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

What brand are those dual 12s? Make sure they have the right CFM rating or amp rating I cant remember what it was called.

I like my black magic fan.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:58 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Hey BlackSnake, your car looks almost exactly like mine..I even put the Cobra emblems on the fenders! LOL.

SO your car is supercharged and you have the Black Magic and it keeps it cool enough??
Old 10-04-2006, 06:06 PM
ROTTITANK
3rd Gear Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

i gota a 93 taurus fan and a good thermostat
Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

being a mechanic for several years, the Ford Taurus station Wagon Fan and two wire connector may be had at any pick and pull yard, in ten minutes for under $20.

To top that off, any mustang 3g 130amp ie 1995 and up 5.0 alternator with pigtails will go on your fox, as this fan will pull amps but kep you cool and add 10-15 hp, a minor 30 seconds of griniding your original alternator bracket will be necessary.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:15 AM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Well I ended up buying an early 90's 3.8 Taurus fan. I actually found a guy on E-bay who sells rebuilt ones so the motor is brand spankin new which was a hang-up of mine and why I didn't just go to the junkyard. I paid about $100 for it but still much cheaper than most aftermarket fans! I had already upgraded my alternator to the 3G 130 amp some time ago because the stock alternator with underdrive pulleys was killin me. Before I install the fan I'm going to get the FK35 fan controller from DCC which I've been reading is pretty much the best and won't be taxing out my electrical system as much since it's variable speed. I'm thinking it should be a nice install, looking forward to a few extra ponies by tossing the mechanical fan
Old 10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

thats the fan i got and installed and omg my car barley got to runnin temp(only because of the way i had it hooked, which i fixed it now) those fans are awesome, if i was you just get a black magic extreme elec fan. i also have a 2 row alum radiator.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteveSkal

Well I ended up buying an early 90's 3.8 Taurus fan. I actually found a guy on E-bay who sells rebuilt ones so the motor is brand spankin new which was a hang-up of mine and why I didn't just go to the junkyard. I paid about $100 for it but still much cheaper than most aftermarket fans! I had already upgraded my alternator to the 3G 130 amp some time ago because the stock alternator with underdrive pulleys was killin me. Before I install the fan I'm going to get the FK35 fan controller from DCC which I've been reading is pretty much the best and won't be taxing out my electrical system as much since it's variable speed. I'm thinking it should be a nice install, looking forward to a few extra ponies by tossing the mechanical fan
that is my exact setup and i love it. the controller rocks!!

Quick Reply: What electric fan is best?