5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

'95 GT Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
ZiggyNamja

Default '95 GT Decisions

I need your expert opinion everyone!

I have a '95 GT with a stock 302 engine that thas been running great for the last 170,000 miles. Recently, it has developed an hesitation similar to lugging between 1500 and 2200 RPM as well as a decrease in overall power above 4000 RPM.
When I checked under the hood, I found that the spark plug wires (Ford Motorsport) to cylinder 6 & 7 where frying on the exhaust header and possibly affecting the ignition.
I replaced all the plug wires (Summit 8mm silicone), the fuel filter (Motorcraft), the distributor cap and rotor (MSD), the coil (Accel), cleaned and regapped the plugs @ 52 but the problem is still there. Checked the timing and it's still sitting at 12' as it has been for ever.
The KOEO test reports no codes, the KOER test reports no codes, and the Dynamic Range test result is 9... So, I double checked the voltages of the TPS, MAF, IAT and they are all within spec. Now I am really stomped .
I brak down and take the car to Ford and after two days of scratching their heads, they tell me that it's either a small coolant leak somewhere in the heads, or one or both of the head gaskets. Best case scenario, $1300... worst case scenario $1800 or maybe more [:@].
I could make all the repairs myself, but I need to make some decisions:
1. Do I start taking the intake apart and check the heads? If the problem is not there, I can always continue to the head gasket replacement... Is it worthed to do so much work on an engine with 170K miles? and then, while I have it apart, should I not put new rings and bearings in it...
2. What if the problem is not really there and I tear the whole thing apart, sink a bunch of money and time in the fix and then it's not fixed? Is there any way to really figure out what is causing this problem? A cylinder pressure test has not been performed yet, but I am sure the numbers would be inconclusive because of the milage.
3. Should I consider finding another engine? I have seen a crate 302 form Ford Motorsports (340hp) for $3500, but I would have to upgrade the injectors, the fuel rail and pump, and a few other items to make it fit and run... so, maybe $4000.
- or -
do I try to find a used 302 engine in a junkyard for $500 to $800 and throw a few parts at it to bring it up to spec?

Decisions, decisions... What do you think? I could scrape up the $4k for the motor, but it would be somewhat painful...

Your insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: '95 GT Decisions

Besides the problem you are describing, how does it run in general. Does it idle well, w/o missing and drive the same except for the problem you have described? Why do they think it's colant related. Is the car blowing white smoke form the t-pipe? Did the plugs look like there was any residue on them when you pulled them? When this problem is occuring, does it just feel sluggish or is there an actual miss that's causing the lack of power? Sorry for all the questions but alot more info is needed!

I think you need a second opinion.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM
ZiggyNamja

The car has been running great, aside for the usual subtle loss of power as the miles pile on.
It idles fine and when the RPM is increased to the problem range, there is no miss or hesitation, it only appears when it's in gear, mainly 3d, 4th and 5th, specially if going up a hill at slow speeds (not lugging it...)
I have no idea how they came up with the coolant bit... I have not noticed any white smoke for the t-pipe and I think that if the coolant was in the mixture, it would make the problem happen even if the car is not moving...
The plugs had a dark reddish residue, and since I am using red coolant I think they figured it must be it. Hoever, I have also used some octane booster for a few thankfuls, thinking that my injectors where dirty.
When I hit about 1800 RPM in just about any gear, especially if I am slowly accelerating, the car hesitates and bucks, almost as if the timing was off. On the high end it just seem to build power more slowly, not the usual aggressive rip, but no missing or bucking.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
BlackMustang02GT
4th Gear Member

I know youve checked the voltage of it but have you cleaned the MAF? it was doing the same **** brought it to ford and they diagnosted me with a fuel pump circuit problem... so clean that and also change your o2's if you havnt done that in a while and you'll c your car will improve drastically!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 PM
jcj53115

ORIGINAL: blackmustang94gt

I know youve checked the voltage of it but have you cleaned the MAF? it was doing the same **** brought it to ford and they diagnosted me with a fuel pump circuit problem... so clean that and also change your o2's if you havnt done that in a while and you'll c your car will improve drastically!
I agree, sounds like a MAF problem. Ford was stumped so they throw out the most expensive problem. If it is a coolant leak they should've been able to diagnose it with confidence. A CO2 test on the cooling system, leak down test, and coolant system pressure test should all be done prior to tearing it apart and hoping that is actually the problem. I personally would look else where. Sounds like a MAf or O2 sensor problem. Good Luck
Old 10-08-2006, 01:02 PM
ZiggyNamja

I did clean the MAF, so next I'll do the O2 sensors...

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll keep you posted on the results
Old 10-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Fox
1st Gear Member

Since you are describing a hesitation at a particular rpm, I would consider changing the throttle position sensor. It might not be the problem, but would be a relatively cheap try. The reason I would try this is because a tps is really a variable resistor with feedback to the computer, and you could possibly have a dead spot in the tps.

Also the timing chain comes to mind. When you check the timing, is it stable?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 PM
ZiggyNamja

Timing is stable...
I'll double check the TPS, even though it seem to have smooth voltage transition - If the TPS had a dead spot, would it not show it also when the car is stationary and the throttle moved through that range of RPMs?
General opinion seem to point to the O2 sensors, even though I am not getting any codes on those either...
Could the PCM have become hoplessly stupid?[sm=bangbang.gif]
Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Fox
1st Gear Member

Yes, I agree. If you rev stationary, and no missing or unusual motor hesitation, I would not suspect the tps.

Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
kevinas1214
2nd Gear Member

I will post again tommorrow but after i replaced the headers I was having a similar problem. I took it to a shop and we replaced and regapped the spark plugs changed the wires advanced the timing and they remapped the computer. I had done a few mods to it without getting the computer "TUNED" and they said that helped alot. I also did a shot of gas and get my car back tommorrow. I have heard that the mass air and something placed on the tb can be cleaned to help your dieing of power. i WILL post tommorrow to make sure the car is running right

Quick Reply: '95 GT Decisions