5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car still vibrates! What the F???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

Default car still vibrates! What the F???

I had these crazy vibrations after I did an H/C/I. It didn't start right after the install was done. It ran great for a few days and it started after a burn out. Everyone said it was my clutch, since it was 4 years old and we ruled out the balencer since a brand new solid balencer was put on during the install. I just put in the new clutch, and come to find out, the tranny's bearing retainer was snapped, so I had it replaced, with all components of the clutch. Well, the damn car still vibrates when I rev it up past about 4k. I am really thinking it's because of the energy suspension motor mounts and tranny mount. A while back, I had them installed and the car vibrated a little, but not too bad, and it's been getting worse. I replaced the block, and the same vibration is there. It vibrates in neutral, rolling, in gear, and in every scenario you can think of. It does it at high rpm, all the time. I think I should just put stock motor and tranny mounts back in. It's not even enjoyable to drive my car like this. Is there anything else it can be? It's not the balencer, it's not anything that has to do with the clutch, the block only has 15-20K on it, but has had a blown head gasket (reason for H/C/I) Did I damage something in the engine??? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have brand new motor and tranny mounts, so I think I'm gonna try them, but I don't really know what else to look for. I KNOW that not everyone with H/C/I and energy suspension mounts has vibrations like this. Its not even fun to drive!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: car still vibrates! What the F???

where's the vibration coming from?...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:55 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

the shifter and the steering wheel. I almost cant hold onto the shifter when its at 5k
Old 10-12-2006, 03:11 AM
Sic5OohSC
1st Gear Member

mines because of the drive shaft but that rules that out since it will do it in neutral
Old 10-12-2006, 03:41 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

tranny mount? my motor mounts were shot and it did this.i put solids in it now
Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

It did it ever since I got the energy mounts. I think it's cuz they aren't as soft. I might really go back to stock. I put an aluminum d/s in too.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Foxy5.0

Whats a H/C/I?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:16 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

heads cam intake...................bet you feel a whole smarter now[8D]
Old 10-12-2006, 04:33 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sick95gt

I replaced the block, and the same vibration is there. It vibrates in neutral, rolling, in gear, and in every scenario you can think of. It does it at high rpm, all the time. I think I should just put stock motor and tranny mounts back in.
This sounds like the short block wasn't properly balanced.

I have been in a car that had not been balanced. At about 3,500rpm, it was physically painful to place my hand on the shifter. Before and after 3,500 it seemed to smooth out a little, but was still rougher than it should have been.

I would think that the harmonic created by the imbalance would not get worse over time, but I am just guessing there.
It sounds like your vibration has been getting worse since the new motor went in?

Where did you get the motor?
Who built it?

Just my thoughts,
jason
Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

it's a few years old, but only has maybe 15-20k on it. It was bought from central coast mustang. What makes me think that it's the mounts is cuz I put them in with the old motor and it vibrated right afterwards. When I put in the new motor, it had the same vibration. Now after the h/c/i and clutch, it seems a little worse, but it might also be since it's not tuned. But it feels like a ridiculous vibration, not just a little one. So, I guess the fact that it's not tuned wouldn't help, but there's no way it's this bad because of it. And the old motor was stock when I put in the mounts and it still vibrated. I'm just stuck right now. Could something internal be jacked up?

Quick Reply: car still vibrates! What the F???