5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PISSED!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:14 AM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PISSED!!

i know my car is capeble of mid 8's but i dont know if i cant get it there [] i hit the gas when its green , any tips would help and any ways i can practice?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smbikes

i know my car is capeble of mid 8's but i dont know if i cant get it there [] i hit the gas when its green , any tips would help and any ways i can practice?
Don't worry man. Noone is born knowing how to race! LoL. Just takes practice. I can't remember if you are standard or auto. Either way, learning how to launch at a higher RPM helps.

A few tips that may help you...When you're at the line the starter will activate the tree, and the yellow lights will come on, one at a time .5 seconds apart. When the last yellow light comes on, GO! By the time you react, then your car reacts, the green light will be on. Trust me! if you red light it, oh well, you will be able to adjust it next run. Before you know it, you'll be nailing it! Just check your RTs after each run and adjust accordingly. But for your next few runs, go on the yellow light. I could tell you were waiting for green just by looking at your RT's... thats why I asked

Make sure you know exactly where the finish line is! The speed trap beams are located BEFORE the finish line. Don't mistake one for the other and brake early.

Lose weight in the car! Gas is heavy. About 6lbs per gallon. No need to show up at the tracks with a full tank. It will only slow you down.

If you have street tires, go around the water pit. It will run in your tread, be thrown into your wheelwell, and drip on your tires and the track the whole run. But still do a short burnout to get all teh dirt off your tires.

Thats just some basic advice to help you out some. You probably knew most of it, but someone else may not know and it may help them
Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 PM
WhidbeyStang
1st Gear Member

When you first start out drag racing, especially if only test n tune. Do not worry so much about react times, they do not figure into your ET, 60' or mph. The time does not start until you break the beam wether it is an .002 light or a .773 light. Work on getting to know your car, launch rpm, shift points etc. This is not to say you can't cut a better light than a .773, just let it go on the last amber NOT GREEN. You will get better. If you do not have sticky tire get some, with your power level that should be a deep 7's 1/8 mi car. AND DUMP THE FLOOR MATS. Go back to the track and half track the probably now cocky V6 car.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:07 PM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

from my dyno , would 5700 rpm be the best to shift from?? , i have aod but manule shift when i race
Old 10-14-2006, 02:15 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Just keep in mind that when you shift the AOD / AODE... there's still going to be a slight hesitation until it kicks in. So if you want it to shift at 5700 you have to shift a bit earlier. May also help to drop a shift kit in there... or maybe even get a full manual valve body. But even a shift kit will help. it will firm up shifts and make it shift quicker. Or if you just like to play around, you can chirp the tires when shifting from 1 to 2.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:18 PM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

i have a shift kit and if i get on it and it shifting it self i can cherp 1 2 and 3 , my tranny was built to withstand 1000hp, would a shift light help?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:21 PM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

im also adding 75 spry off the line
Old 10-14-2006, 02:35 PM
WhidbeyStang
1st Gear Member

If your peak power is at 5700, you should shift around 5900 so it will stay in your power band. Ideally when you shift you want the fall back rpm to be at your peak torque. The best thing is to try different shift points. The car will let you know what it likes. A shift light will definitely allow you to shift more consistently.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhidbeyStang

If your peak power is at 5700, you should shift around 5900 so it will stay in your power band. Ideally when you shift you want the fall back rpm to be at your peak torque. The best thing is to try different shift points. The car will let you know what it likes. A shift light will definitely allow you to shift more consistently.
Don't forget about the delay's with automatics though. With lots of HP, those RPMs get up there fast. If he shifts right at 5700, it can be at 6200 or above by the time it actually shifts.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:03 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smbikes

i have a shift kit and if i get on it and it shifting it self i can cherp 1 2 and 3 , my tranny was built to withstand 1000hp, would a shift light help?
Would a condom during sex with a ***** help? DUH.

Quick Reply: PISSED!!