5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch install....failed :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:02 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch install....failed :(

Went down to Prince Frederick to my uncles to do my clutch and motor mounts today...to say the least it went ****ty as hell. Everything that fought me did. Everything that could have gone wrong did.

First off, we get the car in the air and go to disconnect the drive shaft from the rear. I put a 12 pt 12mm wrench on a nut back there on the plate, won't budge. I put 2 wrenches together to try it, won't budge. I use propane and two wrenches, won't budge. By this time my uncle and I are getting sick of these bolts...so we pull out the impact. Since he doesn't have a 12pt, 12mm impact swivel socket (what non-mustang owner would), that didn't do much good. Broke the **** out of a universal swivel. Okay, so we decide we can't do the clutch becuase of those damn bolts.

We decide to do the motor mounts. The passenger side one goes in without a hitch, but the drivers side fought so we couldn't get it in. We had the motor jacked up as far as it would go, the H pipe off and everthing that could have held the motor down loose. That damn driver side of the motor would absolutely not come up high enough for the mount to come out. Needed another 3/4" to get it out.

So I'm going back in two weeks and he's going to get a set of 12 pt impact swivel sockets and bring his uber impact from work (700 ft lbs) and we're going to give that a whirl. According to him "With that wrench either the bolt is going to come out or the head will snap off."

Any advice on tackling these two things would be greatly appreciated. I'm just so damn frustrated. My ford tool didn't work to well, euther (10 lb sledge hammer).
Old 10-14-2006, 10:06 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Clutch install....failed :(

my ????? did you tighten up the other mount before doing the other side?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:08 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Pretty sure, not positive. May have been loose. My concern is more with breaking those damn rear bolts loose on the drive shaft plate.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:12 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

I have to ask..you were loosing not tighten?maybe use so PB BLASTER to saok overnite.....
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Yes...I was spinning the bolts counter clockwise, unless the bolts are reverse-threaded I was spinning them the right way.

I would think that PB blaster wouldn't do much, especially since I was using a damn propane torch on it and it didn't help at all.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

unless you got the bolt and area cherry red I doubt you did much
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You ain't gonna snap those bolts... it's a 1/2" bolt I believe. A propane torch? there's your first mistake, they don't get hot enough to do jack. You need an acetylene torch. 700ft lbs impact won't actually put out 700lbs either, we have half a dozen of them at work, put out maybe 200, even our big 3/4" impact only puts out around 300lbs @180psi
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

doesnt heat make metal shrink, blast it with some liquid nitrogen, make it stretch, melt of any frost buildup with the torch, and try.

P.S. dont take that seriously, i dont know wtf im talking about,
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Okay...well how can I get those out? I'm going to try the most powerful impact I can get my hands on next time. An acetylene torch will fry the rear pinion seal...which I don't want.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:45 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

the pinion seal can be replaced...as for an IMpact a 3/8 drive is lucky to give you 200 pounds...

Quick Reply: Clutch install....failed :(