5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

horrible idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default horrible idling problem

ok heres whats up... i changed my timing like a week ago.. shortly after.. next day... bout 75miles later... this week surge happens when i let to car idle at a stop, or sit in neutral, its gotten worse and worse... long surges were te rpms will shoot up and stay there for a while... or quick fluctuation in rpms... its even starting to drop so low after reving up that it will die... it doesnt do this when i and giving it gas... and it does surge a lil bit when i am good but not giving it gas... like down a hill or sumthan... so i dont hey just move you timing bak... well actually when i put it bak to 10 it almost seemed worse... so i moved it bak up a lil at 12 it seems to be a lil better... so i left it there... rite now its apart im puttin Mac lt headers and a prochamber on as well as pulleys.... some of the pulleys were a lil bad.. but not majorly bad.. but i think i will be replacing htem newayz... there 11 years old with 43k on then... they came with the car... also i put some seafoam and lucas injector cleaner in shortly after this surge started happening thinking it would clean things up... which i htink it did.. but it didnt fix the problem... neone ahve ne ideas
Old 10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: horrible idling problem

pull codes then we'll talk
Old 10-15-2006, 10:39 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

will there be codes if hte check engine light is on??... if so were do i go to get the machine that reads codes
Old 10-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

you can get a ford obd1 code reader and your local parts store. and yes there are codes stored if the CEL is on. btw ford also made it to where your car may still throw codes even if your CEL isn't on.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:48 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

yea sorry i ment isnt.. as in if the check eninge light isnt on... but u still answer the question so thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

well is there nething i should so newayz.. without codes... like the throttle body on down to the air filter is off... as well as the spark plugs and the haeders will be switch out and the midpipe as well... is there nething i should do just becuz its a good idea to do... i think im goin to get ne plugs and wires... nething else??
Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

replace your IAC valve, they cost like $30
they like to act up as the weather starts to cool and you get condensation in them.

IAC valve regulates how much air by-passes the TB at idle, hence controlling idle.
when they start going out they stick and wont idle right.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:07 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

were is that located in hte engine.. and were can i get one for 30.. like autozone or do i have to get it off line??
Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: r.barn

replace your IAC valve, they cost like $30
they like to act up as the weather starts to cool and you get condensation in them.

IAC valve regulates how much air by-passes the TB at idle, hence controlling idle.
when they start going out they stick and wont idle right.
yea, i really should get around to replacing mine... every time it rains my car has a rolling idle of around 1800 rpms.. lol... i guess im just too lazy, i just unplug it haha
Old 10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Smitty98RT
1st Gear Member

I was quoted 60 bucks at Advance Auto for one, Try removing it and cleaning it with some carbcleaner before buying a new one. My old vacuum leak was also accompanied by a surging idle....something you might want to look for before spending any $$$.

Quick Reply: horrible idling problem