5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT-40 SVO Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: GT-40 SVO Crate Motor

ORIGINAL: GreenHornet92

easiest thing is going to be nitrous like stated above. A set of either 165 or 185 AFR heads will work. I am sure there is a better intake you could use, I did not see anything about a cam...a custom grind. Basically just do a top of the line, head/cam/intake swap and then put a 150 shot of nitrous on it. Save a little more money for a tubo or supercharger kit. Run that for a while till you can save up money for some forged internals and a stronger block. re-use the heads and turbo/supercharger and just turn the boost up till you are happy.
Or spend the $6500 or so it would take to get a Keith Craft crate motor making 500fwhp out of the box all-motor, add a 125 shot, and never look back.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanger88

easiest thing is going to be nitrous like stated above. A set of either 165 or 185 AFR heads will work. I am sure there is a better intake you could use, I did not see anything about a cam...a custom grind. Basically just do a top of the line, head/cam/intake swap and then put a 150 shot of nitrous on it. Save a little more money for a tubo or supercharger kit. Run that for a while till you can save up money for some forged internals and a stronger block. re-use the heads and turbo/supercharger and just turn the boost up till you are happy.
Or spend the $6500 or so it would take to get a Keith Craft crate motor making 500fwhp out of the box all-motor, add a 125 shot, and never look back.

Does he have a front wheel drive mustang?lol just messing with ya man. lol
Old 10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

I completely agree with you, do it right the first time. but if he is looking to do something now, he said he does not have the money for a new motor right now. with what I said he could very easily be in the mid 11's. Be there for a while, save up the money and then but your motor from Keith Craft and part out the old one to help pay for it. Then go looking for 9's[8D]
Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

I completely agree with you, do it right the first time. but if he is looking to do something now, he said he does not have the money for a new motor right now. with what I said he could very easily be in the mid 11's. Be there for a while, save up the money and then but your motor from Keith Craft and part out the old one to help pay for it. Then go looking for 9's[8D]
Look at his car...the guy asked for an ALL OUT FI setup. I dont think money is the main concern here. As to the guy who dissed my FWHP reference, crate motors are not sold by rwhp...because THAT depends on driveline. fwhp does not.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:57 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

i think he meant Fly Wheel Horse Power for those saying anything. I know he is wanting to build a beast...but he did say he can't afford a new motor right now.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

i think he meant Fly Wheel Horse Power for those saying anything. I know he is wanting to build a beast...but he did say he can't afford a new motor right now.

What else do you guys think I should invest in to make this a beast. It is a tribute car for my friend who just passed March 4th so I wanna go all out and make it bad ***.

^that tells me money is not an issue. Either that or that is VERY POOR word choice.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

jeesh. you guys are too up-tight. chill out a little. it was just a joke. i know what you ment. didnt mean any harm by it. i apoligize.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dropdagloves20

Stanger88,
Thanks for the idea bro, I already threw on an 8.8 rear end and I agree with you. I am only 20 years old and in college and basically emptied my bank account on this car already. I only threw the FR Crate Motor in it cause my friend gave it to me for 500 with 27,000 miles on it, and then threw as many bolt on upgrades I could outta past automotive basic experience, but I don't know where to go on horses or driveline on this on a budget. I wanna spend all I can on this car, but there's no way I can afford another motor, as of now this car's pumping out 270rwhp on the dyno.
that is what I am going off of. I think he needs to be a little more clear on what his budget is right now.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:37 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dropdagloves20

Stanger88,
Thanks for the idea bro, I already threw on an 8.8 rear end and I agree with you. I am only 20 years old and in college and basically emptied my bank account on this car already. I only threw the FR Crate Motor in it cause my friend gave it to me for 500 with 27,000 miles on it, and then threw as many bolt on upgrades I could outta past automotive basic experience, but I don't know where to go on horses or driveline on this on a budget. I wanna spend all I can on this car, but there's no way I can afford another motor, as of now this car's pumping out 270rwhp on the dyno.
that is what I am going off of. I think he needs to be a little more clear on what his budget is right now.
Then what he needs to do is figure out WHAT he wants, suspension, or motor. Because MM is some expensive crap. He wont have enough to do a bang-up MM suspension job AND motor work.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Dropdagloves20
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, I appreciate everyones ideas. Anyway, I am a 20 year old college student living on my own so money is a factor, but I'm putting everything I can into this car. Honestly, I'm not sure completely suspensionwise what has been done to it, the guy I bought it from was an idiot and didn't know **** about cars, and he just bought it. I figured I was gonna do a engine swap anyway, and for 1500 dollars it handled and drove pretty well. All he knew about suspensionwise was that it has 3.55's and a 8.8 rearend, with a t5 Tranny. Everything I listed is all I could find on the car from my own inspection and what I have done to it myself or paperwork. I'm gonna take it to a shop to get it checked out by a fine tooth comb cause I haven't recently had the time or tools to lift it up and check everything. Basically, I don't have the money to buy a 6000 dollar engine, but I do have enough to build this car slowly into a beast. I don't want to do it overnight, I just wanted your suggestions on what I could add onto or upgrade with what I got, so I can plan financially. All good suggestions, I'm just not really familiar with the GT-40 Crate Motor all that well, all I know is it's rated at 345 flywheel horses, and when my buddy(who I knew took care of it) offered it to me for incredibly cheap with only 27000 miles on it, I figured it would be much better base to build on than a 160,000 5.0 HO motor. I just kinda want your imput on what I can do to it for rwhp gains, that it can handle. My ultimate goal is to upgrade to a better motor, but right now, I kinda just have to piece together what I can. Anymore info would be helpful, and all you guys have told me is awesome. From what you guys have given me, tell me if this sounds good. Upgrade to 3.73 gears, Throw a new Tremec T5 on, Upgrade to top of the line heads/cam/and intake, and throw on a Twin Turbo kit. Anything else, or any brands or models that would be better for this motor and what it can handle would be appreciated as well. You guys are awesome, keep it coming.

Quick Reply: GT-40 SVO Crate Motor