5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hatch problem and Wax removal (tail lights)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:05 AM
dahveed

Default Hatch problem and Wax removal (tail lights)

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone might be able to give me some advice on a couple problems I currently have. First off, my passenger side tail lights have a "haze" over them, which I believe to be wax. I was stuck waiting by my car one day, so I took my pocket knife and found I was able to scape off the wax. The problem is, I have those wonderful GT tail lights that are divided into about 20 different sections. I also just got my car repainted a couple months ago. Is there some way, that someone out there knows about, that will allow me to remove this coating from my tail lights without damaging the tail lights or the paint? I was told dish soap might work, as it apparently removes wax. Any thoughts?

My second problem is with my hatch. If I go over a bump, or if I take a turn down a sloped road, the hatch has the possibility of popping off the striker. Does this sound like I need a new locking mechanism for the hatch, or a new striker, or something else? I found this website:

Hatchback Repair

but that is referring to a rattle. However, my striker does not have a plastic ring around it either. I have readjusted the striker quite a bit over the past couple years. I get one of two things in doing so. Either the hatch rattles when I drive (when I move the striker up), or the hatch pops open when I go over things like speed bumps or holes in the road (move the striker down).

I'm a grad student at the moment, so I am hoping I can solve these problems with only minor expense (grad student = poor). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

David
Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 AM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hatch problem and Wax removal (tail lights)

are you sure its not overspray?...polish normaly removes the haze..
Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 AM
ltrayne84
2nd Gear Member

replace your striker.. worked for me
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 AM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

nice car dude...
ORIGINAL: ltrayne84

replace your striker.. worked for me
Old 10-19-2006, 02:53 AM
ltrayne84
2nd Gear Member

^^^thanks bro^^^
Old 10-19-2006, 03:33 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I had the same problem with my tail lights. It drove me nuts. Then I took some Maquire's Scratch-X, and a terry cloth towel, and rubbed each section of the tail lights until the friction burned my finger through the towel. It works better if you use a tiny little bit, as opposed to a large amount, so that it dries while you're rubbing it, and creates friction. It takes some muscle and sweat, but they look good now, except for the very edges of each light segment, where the towel couldn't reach. I did the light segments a couple at a time, over a period of a month, as it's kind of a bitch to get them perfect. Mine are close though.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dahveed

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone might be able to give me some advice on a couple problems I currently have. First off, my passenger side tail lights have a "haze" over them, which I believe to be wax. I was stuck waiting by my car one day, so I took my pocket knife and found I was able to scape off the wax. The problem is, I have those wonderful GT tail lights that are divided into about 20 different sections. I also just got my car repainted a couple months ago. Is there some way, that someone out there knows about, that will allow me to remove this coating from my tail lights without damaging the tail lights or the paint? I was told dish soap might work, as it apparently removes wax. Any thoughts?

My second problem is with my hatch. If I go over a bump, or if I take a turn down a sloped road, the hatch has the possibility of popping off the striker. Does this sound like I need a new locking mechanism for the hatch, or a new striker, or something else? I found this website:

Hatchback Repair

but that is referring to a rattle. However, my striker does not have a plastic ring around it either. I have readjusted the striker quite a bit over the past couple years. I get one of two things in doing so. Either the hatch rattles when I drive (when I move the striker up), or the hatch pops open when I go over things like speed bumps or holes in the road (move the striker down).

I'm a grad student at the moment, so I am hoping I can solve these problems with only minor expense (grad student = poor). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

David
What year is your car? Assuming pre-91 am I correct? Get a newer latch mechanism. Need both the latch and the striker. The old latches were known for that, put the new one on my car.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I have the feeling it may be overspray on the tailights, if it was dried wax you should be able to use a cloth and wipe it off with some elbow grease. As, for the latch, I dont have a hatch but, it appears the locking mech. is the same as a hood and either the stops need to go down and the striker up, or replace the latch. I just replaced the hood latch on my truck and its the best $50 i spent on it! lol
Old 10-19-2006, 09:11 PM
dahveed

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

What year is your car? Assuming pre-91 am I correct? Get a newer latch mechanism. Need both the latch and the striker. The old latches were known for that, put the new one on my car.
It's a 90. Will the new latch work on the hold hatch? I had looked at 50resto.com before, and they had a latch listed for the 91-93, but nothing prior, so I figured it didn't fit for some reason. If it fits, I'm up for replacing both the latch and the striker just to get it working.

As for the overspray comment, I am about 99% certain it is not overspray. My car is black, and it is a faint white haze over it. Go to the link below and the second picture down will give you a view of that tail light. I am thinking it is wax build up over the years. Twisted - what is Maquire's Scratch-X? I have never heard of it before. What is it for, and how much does it typically cost?

My car

Thanks for your comments guys!

David
Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I had that problem and I just bought a new striker for mine. Works SO much better no rattling no nothing and shuts great too! Also nice and cheap, just the way I like it.

Quick Reply: Hatch problem and Wax removal (tail lights)