5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: control arm question

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Can someone explain exactly what control arms do? They replace the upper and lower quad shocks, right? So what's the difference between the quad shocks and control arms? Sorry to post jack, but I suspect you're wondering the same thing.
You only have one set of quad shock on your stang, which most people remove. When you do that, though, your stock U/L control arms aren't strong enough to prevent wheel hop b/c they're a stamped design. Aftermarket U/L's are usually tubular or boxed design and are a LOT stronger, so you can run them w/o the quads and not have wheel hop in most cases.

The lower arms locate the axle front to back and help control the pinion angle to the driveshaft/tranny. The uppers also located front to back to a certain extent, but are more for centering the rearend under the car. That's why you can get rid of the uppers when you go to a panhard bar and torque arm setup....they do a much better job of centering the axle and the uppers are no longer needed.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:42 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford91mustang

if i get new control arms for the rear will i feel any difference? some say they lower ETs but i was wondering if you can tell
The stock arms are stamped and are not anything special under load, causing flex. Aftermarket arms are much stronger and better able to handle the weight transfer when launching or accelerating. I would say you will feel a diffenence; it won't be as sloppy when you get on it....
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Can someone explain exactly what control arms do? They replace the upper and lower quad shocks, right? So what's the difference between the quad shocks and control arms? Sorry to post jack, but I suspect you're wondering the same thing.
You only have one set of quad shock on your stang, which most people remove. When you do that, though, your stock U/L control arms aren't strong enough to prevent wheel hop b/c they're a stamped design. Aftermarket U/L's are usually tubular or boxed design and are a LOT stronger, so you can run them w/o the quads and not have wheel hop in most cases.

The lower arms locate the axle front to back and help control the pinion angle to the driveshaft/tranny. The uppers also located front to back to a certain extent, but are more for centering the rearend under the car. That's why you can get rid of the uppers when you go to a panhard bar and torque arm setup....they do a much better job of centering the axle and the uppers are no longer needed.
Maximum Motorsports told me that with a panhard bar/torque arm setup you dont have to run upper or lower control arms... Im not sure how thats possible because Im not exactally positive how a torque arm bolts up but thats what they told me......
Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

You need lowers, too, from what I understand. It makes it a 3 link suspension instead of 4-link. The Tq Arm attaches to the tranny crossmember and then to the rear subframes and diff.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Hey Blue,

HERE is a link that shows the install of a MM panhard and tq arm. Note that he keeps the lowers, but removes the uppers.

After you said what they told you, I did a little looking to make sure I wasn't misinformed....
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM
JonBlaze68

You could also get Steeda 5-Link, but i thought it was overkill for me so i got thier aluminum uppers and lowers, subframe connectors and adjustable rear swaybar..My rear end now is super tight around turns and from a dig...I also have sportlines and nw shocks that i put on last month.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

yes,i have a set of granatellis and yes they work..