5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Replacing heads...how difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Replacing heads...how difficult?

^ Yup, all you gotta do is remove the radiator and air conditioning condensor. Its a little more work, but not too much. If you have the time for it, i'd go for it. I'm sure removing the motor would make the whole process of taking parts off easier in general, but it most definatly can be done without.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:36 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

+1 on the cam, you're 95% there to go ahead and do it too.
just make sure you install new lifters too.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

You might consider cutting the inner fenderwell of your car. Look at the Anderson Powerpipes also. You can get another pound of boost from their set up.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 PM
98GTConvt
1st Gear Member

very intresting thread, and I think there must be some solution out there for relocating the end of your intake...
Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

+1 on the cam, you're 95% there to go ahead and do it too.
just make sure you install new lifters too.
Even with how cramped I have im there? Don't forget that the S/C runs down below the front of the radiator. Then I have the tranny cooler and an AC condensor in there as well. And, of course, the electric fan. Although it would be nicve to just get a nice top end kit and be done with it.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:29 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

You might consider cutting the inner fenderwell of your car. Look at the Anderson Powerpipes also. You can get another pound of boost from their set up.
Yeah, I've been looking at custom ways to do it, but it's so damned cramped in there. It was a pain in the *** to get that filter where it is now. I may have to do some cutting and get some custom rubber tubing to see what I can do. Although you can't see it in the picture, I also run the exhaust from the PCV to just under the intake there. It was about the only place I could find that wouldn't be in the way. I have an air / oil seperator and then that runs into a custom filter, all kept just below the S/C intake.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

That stuff can alway be removed and reinstalled, cant it ? I"m not too sure how supercharger plumbing is, but i'm guessing it can come right out if it can go right in. A cam would definatly be worth the while, and you'll be so close already, why not ? Ya know ?
What kindof heads are you plannin on doin ? Just out of curiousity.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

So about how long does it take to swap out heads...for someone who's handy with a wrench, but has never done it before? 10 hrs?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

If all the right tools are handy, and if you have the time to do it all in one sitting, and a good repair manaul to refer to, i'd say about 3-5 to get the heads off, and about 5-7 to get everything back on. Roughly
Old 10-21-2006, 10:45 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

That stuff can alway be removed and reinstalled, cant it ? I"m not too sure how supercharger plumbing is, but i'm guessing it can come right out if it can go right in. A cam would definatly be worth the while, and you'll be so close already, why not ? Ya know ?
What kindof heads are you plannin on doin ? Just out of curiousity.
Yeah, I guess your right. As far as the plumbing, It goes down one side, across the lower part of the radiator, and up the other side.

I haven't fully decided on heads yet. If I do just the heads and intake, then I may go with some GT-40s or something. But if I get an entire topend kit, then it's most likely going to be trickflow. I just hope the block can take it! With no forged internals and the added stress of a blower (not to mention nitrous) this is going to be puttin some serious HP through her.

Quick Reply: Replacing heads...how difficult?