5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Correlation--oil pressure and engine health?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Correlation--oil pressure and engine health?

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

You can have good oil pressure and still burn oil. Worn rings and valve guide can burn oil. You can also suck it up through the breather and pcv valve. I really wouldn't worry about it, especially if your car is high mileage.
Thanks, Zach...and everyone else. I guess my question was: Is oil pressure a good barometer for overall engine health...despite a little oil consumption. Another way of saying it is, if you don't keep up on maintenance, and rag on your car all the time, it will probably burn oil? But will it also probably have lower oil pressure? I know that burning oil and oil pressure are not directly related; I was just wondering if both were good indicators of how a motor was cared for, and if the fact that my car still has good oil pressure (even though it burns a bit of oil) means that it was cared for properly. This may or may not be a good indication of such...that's what I was asking.

Also, I didn't read your link, Grabbem, but it takes both pump flow and tight clearances to create oil pressure. I'm sure you already knew that already...just wanted to chime in on the debate. You could create high oil pressure through larger clearances by having a higher flowing pump, or through smaller clearances having a weaker pump. At any rate, I'll read the article you linked later, after my boy goes to bed. Thanks again, fellas.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:00 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

You can have good oil pressure and still burn oil. Worn rings and valve guide can burn oil. You can also suck it up through the breather and pcv valve. I really wouldn't worry about it, especially if your car is high mileage.
Another question, Zach: Isn't sucking up excessive oil through the PVC caused by worn rings/blowby/pressurized crankcase? Thanks again for replying.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:42 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I had to jump in on the argument to support both arguments!
(sorry)

Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Hey FoxGT, so what caused your twisted pump shaft? It looks like a piece of damn licorice! Was it really from what Grabbem was describing...the pump having to do extra work because of low oil pressure (which I can't quite wrap my head around).
Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Thaks fellas, i just learned something for the day. The perks of reading post you have know nothing about......boy how do i learn from this site. You fellas are great.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rcdblink716
just think about it this way man. The oil pressure in your motor is not created by the oil pump, it creates flow. Just like a water pump. What creates oil pressure is your clearances in you motor. The larger your oil clearances, the lower your oil pressure; therefore, worn parts and high oil clearances creates low pressure. It in no way correlates with oil consumption.
^ well said, thats my understanding of it!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

you kids don't read....read that link i gave and you will all understand
Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

you kids don't read....read that link i gave and you will all understand
LOL! I read the article word for word, and found nothing regarding what we are talking about. I mean, obviously it's loosely related, as they are talking about oil. Good article though.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/ic110446.htm

ok i'm done with it.....maybe this will help....i have thousands of these saved,and i understand i'm awful at getting the point across...

both myself and the dude named blink716 are right...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:31 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I'm not saying you aren't. I'm saying you're both right. You have to have something pumping to create pressure(oil pump) & you have to have something making resistance (low clearance on bearings) to make it. You're both right & the diagram was just for a better understanding of it.

ORIGINAL: Twisted
Hey FoxGT, so what caused your twisted pump shaft? It looks like a piece of damn licorice! Was it really from what Grabbem was describing...the pump having to do extra work because of low oil pressure (which I can't quite wrap my head around).
A small piece of metal (looked like it came from the pump itself) got lodged between the pump gear. It was about the size of this ---> O

Quick Reply: Correlation--oil pressure and engine health?