5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Getting a Grand National

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:34 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Getting a Grand National

Get the GN, I have a tranny that will go right into that if you need it!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Buy a roller fox coupe, build a budget stroker for it, stick the sauce on it and run 10s all day.

Guy around here collects GNs and GNXs. He has 11 GNs and 4 GNXs, one of which has 11 miles on it!!! There is also a GN at my local track that runs low 7s in the 1/8th hitting the brakes well before the traps (bracket racer). He is in this vid I made a while back a couple times (this is just an everyday test-n-tune day at our track):
http://www.4fit.mustangsofburlington...s/PiedComp.wmv
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

now what is real hard to find is a GNX, and t types are more rare than GNs
T Types arent as rare, atleast around here.
They also arent as well cared for as GN's so theyre usually cheaper although they might need some work.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

They arent too bad of a car since its a 6 and they prob get decent gas mileage...

Still though, I would never sell a Stang for one.... Sn95 or fox body.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:06 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

GNs are cool, but they handle like crap.

If you just want a car to go straight at the drags then it is a cool car.

Back in the day when I was much younger I used to race a guy with a low 13 second GN at the track and on the streets. My 90 Coupe with a Paxton was a real sleeper...stock wheels etc...I could only run high 13s in the 1/4..no traction..but on the street I would walk away from the GN and if we hit any bending roads..the GN was left way behind..

Throw some NOS or a blower on your car....
Old 10-26-2006, 02:23 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJB

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

now what is real hard to find is a GNX, and t types are more rare than GNs
T Types arent as rare, atleast around here.
They also arent as well cared for as GN's so theyre usually cheaper although they might need some work.
as far as production #s go, the regal t-type is more rare, only about 2/3s (i think, dont quote me) as many regal ts as there were GNs, not including GNXs(which really dont make that big of a diff, 547 isnt much)
Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

GN in 87 was a 245 hp stock car, GNX in 87 which was the only year it was produced was a 278 hp car.... but screw the horsepower check the torque those bad boys are putting down... The GNX over was outperforming the vette during that time period... Only downside since its more of a collecters vehicle parts are gonna be more expensive... I'd take a late model GN/GNX over a fox any day.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
kennebell92conv
4th Gear Member

G/N is the best gm car that i like
Old 10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

Its up to you man. Grand nationals are turbo, and yes, they are fast as hell. But there is always gonna be cars that are faster than yours. And sn95's are pigs, heavy as all get out. And your mods arent all that great,I wouldnt expect that much out of it, your maf is too big, and LT's are not necassary at all. Really the only thing helpin you alot there is gears.
Sn 95s are not PIGS... Im getting really tired of hearing people talk trash about them... The weight of a sn95 is in the same wieght class as any modern mustang, and so what if the fox is 4-500lbs lighter slap a extra 30hp on a sn and they're the same. PLUS with a sn-95 you get a better suspension, 4-wheel disk breaks, a MUCH more modernised and efficent engine, a sound proof interior, bucket seats, AREODYNAMICS, and alot of updated electronics ranging from the window motors through the ecu...

I love fox's and plan on eventually owning one myself but seriously stop slamming on people for their choice, I bought a sn for the looks and all of the above, if i wanted a 5.0 for straight acceleration i would have bought a fox...

This isnt directed soley at you Ninety5five0 but at alot of the sn-95 flamers out there...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:11 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LCBlackDep183

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

Its up to you man. Grand nationals are turbo, and yes, they are fast as hell. But there is always gonna be cars that are faster than yours. And sn95's are pigs, heavy as all get out. And your mods arent all that great,I wouldnt expect that much out of it, your maf is too big, and LT's are not necassary at all. Really the only thing helpin you alot there is gears.
Sn 95s are not PIGS... Im getting really tired of hearing people talk trash about them... The weight of a sn95 is in the same wieght class as any modern mustang, and so what if the fox is 4-500lbs lighter slap a extra 30hp on a sn and they're the same. PLUS with a sn-95 you get a better suspension, 4-wheel disk breaks, a MUCH more modernised and efficent engine, a sound proof interior, bucket seats, AREODYNAMICS, and alot of updated electronics ranging from the window motors through the ecu...

I love fox's and plan on eventually owning one myself but seriously stop slamming on people for their choice, I bought a sn for the looks and all of the above, if i wanted a 5.0 for straight acceleration i would have bought a fox...

This isnt directed soley at you Ninety5five0 but at alot of the sn-95 flamers out there...
ya about that ecu... lol its known as one of the worst parts of sn-95 5.0s. as far as much more modernised, what are you talking about? what are you talking about, from a performance standpoint its very hard to validate a 94-95 5.0 over an 89-92. 94-95 had hyper pistons too. have fun w/ that elbow too. also the suspension is nearly the same. bucket seats? what fox do you know of that has a BENCH seat? o and 30hp isnt going to come anywhere CLOSE to making up 400 or 500 lbs. im not sure if it could even overcome 100 lbs.

Quick Reply: Getting a Grand National