5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

winter handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default winter handling

I am still new to my mustang and haven't driven it in snow yet. I hear alot of talk about them not doing that great in the snow, but how bad is it exactly. Anyone who drives theres in the snow on a regular basis any info about how to keep between the ditches would be appreciated. It's also a 5 speed
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: winter handling

never got to snow yet in mine either.. but judging by the way it handles on cold ground and rain... snow will just cause disaster.. i regret buying my mustang before winter but it was a great deal couldn't pass it up and couldn't afford two cars on the road.. you won't crash it if u drive it like a grandpa.. no promises.. if u can try not to drive it when it snows if you dont wanna crash it.. my back end goes out on me when i hit the gas just a little!! just on cold ground... so be careful
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Is that even with good tires?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

yup my tires are pratically brand new.. 80-90% tread left.. its cause the cars are so light no weight in the back.. search on here or google about mustangs in the winter.. i heard there the most worst cars to be driven in the snow.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

heres a few tips towards driving a mustang in the snow.

Rule 1. DON'T
Rule 2. If any doubt arrises... refer to rule 1.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:51 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

well not driving it isn't an option seeing how it is my daily driver. Does anyone know if i could just put a 100-200 pounds of something in the back would make a difference?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
quickGT

If I were you I would just try and avoid driving the car when the ground is wet. Take a bus, get a ride from a friend, anything you can do to prevent wet driving. I had a disaster of my own a few years back in a stock 1990 GT. I usually try to avoid driving when it is wet but I was caught on I-90 in a sudden rain storm driving back from a Chicago Bears pregame. I was doing about 45 in fifth gear and new I was in trouble, I could feel the back slipping a bit so I was trying to drive like a grandma. Long story short while changing lanes the back end swung out from under me and while trying to avoid a collision with cars in the other lanes I hit the concrete center dividing wall at about 30. Lets just say that the car was not looking real pretty after that night, luckily no one was hurt and after that night I refuse to drive my new 92 GT when rain is in the forcast. If you absolutely have to drive in the rain or god forbid the snow please be careful and use as little throttle as possible!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

heres a few tips towards driving a mustang in the snow.

Rule 1. DON'T
Rule 2. If any doubt arrises... refer to rule 1.
LMAO .... and seriously why is this even a question? [sm=badidea.gif]
Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryan_89_mustang

well not driving it isn't an option seeing how it is my daily driver. Does anyone know if i could just put a 100-200 pounds of something in the back would make a difference?
That worked for my 2wd trucks in the winter with all season tires. Of course they were gutless little trucks though.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

I'm in the same boat as you ryan. Coming up on my first winter and i already know how i'm gonna handle it. Dunlop Winter Sport M3 Tires and sandbags. I've heard very good things about these tires, and i'm willing to bet half the people on here complaining about snow don't use true WINTER tires. I don't think even all-seasons would cut it.

Quick Reply: winter handling