5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Should i do this or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:32 PM
jagrave

Default Should i do this or not

I have a chance to get a '89 mustang gt for $4000. It has an edelbrock intake(i guess it would be the upper intake), some after market air intake, flowmasters i think, and a different headers than stock. He "says" that the guy he got it from had the motor redone and it has roughly 10,000 miles on rebuilt motor. He also said that the tranny and rearend had been redone, but he didn't seem to really know what had all been done. It also has a cam in it that he said is almost to big for it. The car sounds mean as hell when he revs it up. My dad had a '87 once upon a time that he done the same stuff to. He said that this car would prob run off and leave my '01 gt and maybe take his '02 trans am. When the car was first crunk up and cold he had to keep reving it up to keep it running for like a minute. After only five minutes of standing outside the car my dad smelt like gas really bad. What do ya'll think about the car? If I do get it i will have to let my '01 gt go back and i won't have any money left.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Should i do this or not

Seems like they dont know what they are tlaking about and thats bad. If it has a rebuild, you should get proof of it. And smelling gas is bad, its a sign of running lean or rich, not too sure which one. Sounds fishy to me....
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Sounds pretty normal for a mustang to be cold blooded. Mine did that when I first got it, but not anymore. I just cleaned it up good. That doesn't sound like a bad price, but I would have to see pitures. About the gas smell, if it doesn't have cats(off road H) it will smell bad.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

4k should get u a nice fox that needs nothing

i'd walk away
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
jagrave

well the guy also just got layed off his job, so he is desperate to sell it. I know it runs though b/c i've seen him drive it. i also smell gas outside my car too, well ever since i put o/r xpipe on it. i don't think he know what all he is talking about either.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Either have a mechanic check it out or pass....you don't want a big headache for a daily driver.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't do it...........keep looking have some patience your find a great deal!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:52 PM
jagrave

the only reason why i was even thinking about doing it was b/c my car payment is extremely high. with gas, insurance, and car payment i'm putting out roughly $700 a month. so no car payment i could SAVE money and eventually get something newer. but i don't really want to get rid of my current car! so for $4000 i could find a similar car with nothing wrong with it? i don't know much about fox bodies. besides being cheaper, would there be any good reason to go with an '89 or so fox body over my current car? thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:09 AM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

where are you located? cause that sounds like a stang tahts around here in the new orleans area
Old 10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
jagrave

far from there. i'm located in a little place called liberty, SC
ORIGINAL: black89gt

where are you located? cause that sounds like a stang tahts around here in the new orleans area