5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

King Cobra Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 AM
ModularFox
Banned

Default King Cobra Clutch

Anyone rockin a king cobra clutch? if so how hard is yours to press? Mine i pretty much have to stand on with 2 feet to hold it down in traffic, it gets kind of annoying, but im starting to think my clutch is messed up pretty bad because a buddy just put the same clutch in his junk and he let me drive it and its about 6000 times easier to press. I mean mine works great, never slips or anything, but its just really hard to press.

Discuss.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 AM
ModularFox
Banned

Default RE: King Cobra Clutch

oh lets not forget ive broken two stock cables too, i was gonna get the nice expensive BBK one, but like someone else said it would just be wasted money if i break it too.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:34 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

did you swap out that plastic pos quad for a nice adjustable one?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:49 AM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

I replaced my clutch, flywheel,pilot bearing, and rear seal in my 93 coupe with the king cobra clutch last weekend. I am not sure what clutch I removed but it was stammped Valeo like the new clutch was. I also removed the stock plastic quadrant and installed a Steeda quadrant, firewall adjuster, and adjustable cable. The clutch was a little stiff at first but it seems to be getting a little easier or I am just getting used to it. I like the clutch and for $180. I would use it again. Yeah there are smoother clutches out there if you want spend a lot more $$$ but I for one am too cheap.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

modular, 2 optons here, get a gym membership and hit the quads and glutes real good, or get a an adjustable clutch & quadrant! lol, either way good luck.... they are stiff but shouldn't require standing on the pedal to depress[sm=shades.gif]
Old 10-29-2006, 02:04 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

i guess he's really, really weak in the legs [&:] I can press it fine, in fact I like it stiff[8D] although I have a skinny friend, REALLY weak, had a hard time pressing the pedal in, yes it was a king cobra too
Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM
ModularFox
Banned

actually im 6'4' and 260lbs and i can press more than enough, its just strangly hard and plus, it doesnt bother me i just think its out of the normal and not right, not to mention i keep breaking cables so i just wondered what was up? and plus the other car i drove with a KC clutch was super easy to press.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

your about my size man and it wasnt that hard for me... and i just got my king cobra clutch in a little while ago but it didnt seem that hard to push.. a little stiffer when i first got it back but it deffanitly felt more possative wich i liked alot. If it is really that tough.. maybe look for a bent clutch fork.. or maybe put a little grease on the pivot ball on the fork.. could have a slightly warped front bearing retainer that your throwout bearing rides on. as for switching the cable to a bbk.. i would just go with a factory ford cable.. and get the billit quad and firewall adj. i put them in mine when i did my clutch and i am really happy i did.. it's so easy to adjust the clutch pedal now.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

you should make sure your cable is run comfortably with no radical bends and **** like that. i have a KC clutch with steeda cable/qaud/FW adjuster and i did notice that when i put the clutch in, it was a little bit stiffer. my buddies always bitch about it when they drive my car. but it shouldn't be that hard to depress. like i said check the routing of the cable.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Highplanezdrifter
1st Gear Member

that sounds kind of strange to me, i had the King cobra in my other 5.0 and it wasn't bad. it was a little stiffer than stock but not really bad at all. the clutch that i put in my new 5.0 is a little stiffer than the king cobra clutch was. (LUK pro gold clutch. the same one they run in the cars at Bondurant school of high performance driving in their mustangs)

Quick Reply: King Cobra Clutch