5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Common issues with Fox GT's

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
joebrez

Default Common issues with Fox GT's

Hey guys,

I am new to the American Muscle scene, but after spending about 10 years tuning "rice rockets", and I have turned my interest to the late 80's early 90's GT Convertibles. I am currently looking @ an 87 GT Conv. w\ 107K (Auto Trans) that is kinda rough on the body. Mechanically it seems pretty tight, except for a power steering leak, which in itself seems to haunt many Ford owners.

I am not looking to run at the strip. I am looking for a fun weekend ride (Won't be daily driver).

So my question is this, in the years for which I am looking, what are common problems with the car.

Thanks Guys for any help with this...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Common issues with Fox GT's

Not really any "problems" persay. The 87 would be a Speed Density car which makes it a little more difficult to do things such as cam changes. You can convert it over to mass air relatively easily though, if you should decide to do that. There are some very quick speed density cars out there. The gears are very high (numerically low) and need to be changed as one of your first mods.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Common issued with Early Fox GT's

You can't really say what the common problem is on Fox's cause every car is treated differently and gone thru different experiences. What I recommend is you do a full tune up on it and fliud change that way you know where you car stands as far as fluids and tune up. Change the tranny oil and work from there. Get the basics out of the way, then it's easier to work on your car.
As far as electrical goes same thing all depends on the owner before on he/she treated the car.

About that power steering leaking check the hoses. I had the same issue. One of the hoses runnning from the power steering was old so it was cracking where there clamp is. Just buy a new hose and problem solved if it is that.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i would try to find a 90-93... front wheel wells larger, Mass Air, Air bags, and a whole bunch of other stuff i cant think of...
Old 10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Heater core/ac evaporator seems to be common, door handles, power locks, rear quarter windows on verts too.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

not sure how big of a deal bodywork is for you, but rust can be pretty major. strut towers, under the hatch, anywhere along the bottom of the body are some common places.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:33 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Quick question... why a vert?

(I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them, i'm just wondering)
Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
joebrez

I thought 87-88 were MAF and 89,90,91 were Speed Density cars... Anyway, I really don't want to mod this thing. I still have my little Rocket for speed, I want a nice convertible for cruising around with the top down. And what better a car than an American Classic Icon

ORIGINAL: 4fit?

Not really any "problems" persay. The 87 would be a Speed Density car which makes it a little more difficult to do things such as cam changes. You can convert it over to mass air relatively easily though, if you should decide to do that. There are some very quick speed density cars out there. The gears are very high (numerically low) and need to be changed as one of your first mods.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM
joebrez

This one has been Garage Kept, so the paint has some oxidation on it, and a couple of surface rust areas (trunk and 1/4 panels.), but is very minor.

Body work is not a huge deal to me, I want it to be mechanically sound first.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:02 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Heater core/ac evaporator seems to be common, door handles, power locks, rear quarter windows on verts too.
fan clutch is common too
also gotta watch out for those pesky muffler bearings

Quick Reply: Common issues with Fox GT's