5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help me plan my project please....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:16 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Default help me plan my project please....

Welp, I'm back after a few long months of time off from the mustang world (personal problems), but I'm back better than ever! Just can't get enough of these cars whether it be magazines or books, but anyways, I NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!

I'm ignorant to performance, but slowly getting familiar with everything.

I NEED HELP WITH THIS: sometime around the end of august I read an article that hellion took a stock 92' LX and dropped their turbo kit in it. After the instalation and some tuning, the STOCK LX had 400rwhp and 450ft/torque. I was amazed at the gains so I planned for a turbo set-up.

Here's the deal, turbos are sweet, superchargers have ***** and sounds HELLA sweeter. So my question is, for the same 5 grand, how realistic is it to surpass the 400rwhp of the hellion kit, with a supercharger set-up?

Thanks a lot guys, counting on this great forum to gimme some direction....
Old 11-05-2006, 07:54 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help me plan my project please....

full bolt ons and a blower running 8-10 psi should put you close. You could pass it up with an hci swap and a novi 1000, or vortech v-1 and still be under 5k
Old 11-05-2006, 09:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

OR, you could buy a turbo kit from either www.ponydown.net or www.bgturbokits.com and save 2k... then buy some other mods, like injectors, maf, tb.. etc etc

same stuff, just a cheaper price due to the "name brand" game
Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

AdderMK2: I'm trying to lose the turbo idea, I mean don't get me wrong, the power they push out is amazing, but my 5.0 needs to whine.....not hiss
Old 11-05-2006, 10:42 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

for 4k I could build a nice 351 with that power
Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

spray it with a decently built 351 and you will stay within your budget and have more power than your target #s
Old 11-06-2006, 01:15 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

mmm... forged 351 and LOTS of juice.... sounds yummy
Old 11-06-2006, 01:19 AM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Sorry guys but I don't think a 351 swap is that possible. I def couldn't do it myself, and don't have time to give it to somebody to do because this is my DD. I'd love to have a 351 under the hood but it just doesn't seem possible IMO.

So now that I have to work with my 302, any suggestions on superchargers or different combos of performance parts?

I've been searching for specific HP gains, but have only found HP% gains instead of actual numbers.

Thanks to all who have helped!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

forged internals for your 302(except crank), nice set of heads(afr, canfield, vic jr), nice maniflold, cam, then spray the hell out of it. its good because you will have a pretty quick, stout little motor with room to grow and you wont have to do things twice since you're not skipping on the heads, manifold or internals. then you're ready for an aftermarket block and some forced induction if you want. buy the nice stuff, then you only have to buy it once
Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 AM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, how much would that set-up run me? It def sounds impressive! Not too much of a spray guy though, I prefer all motor or a combo of motor/forced induction.

But if I put a blower ontop of that, the block wouldn't hold correct? Cuz I noticed u made a reference to an aftermarket block.

I've also been reading up on prochargers and would be willing to throw down the money for something that powerful.

88BlackGT: you've been giving me great info, so if I was going to run a procharger on my stock block, am I asking for trouble or can it be done with the right mods and not having to switch up to an aftermarket block?

Thanks again to the contributors of this thread!

Quick Reply: help me plan my project please....