5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bolt On Radiator Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:13 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Bolt On Radiator Support

I have an 88 GT/LX project car that I have been working on for the past few years and for the last like 8 months I have been held up by my freakin radiator support. The car cannot be moved and I can not weld. My only option is to get someone to go in the back of my yard and weld it for me but I have no had no luck getting that to happen. SO, I was wondering. Would it be OK for me to bolt on the rad support? I know that its not going to be as good as welding but I think it might be my last option. Without getting this support on I cant put on my fenders, header panel, headlights, shocks absorbers, front bumper support, front bumper, etc. So, its getting colder by the day here in Jersey and I want to try to get this done ASAP. Not trying to be ignorant but I dont want anyone to be guessing here, experienced people only. THANKS!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:17 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bolt On Radiator Support

why can't the car be moved? for the right money, i'll come down and weld it, as long as you rent the mig. i live in mass
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, its hard to explain but its in my backyard under one of those big 20x14 tents (something like that). And I COULD move it but it would take a few people and a good hour to get it out and I really dont feel like doing that because than I have to get it back in there.

Anyway, are you an experienced welder? You know where I live right? lol What is "the right money" to you?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well i've been mig'gin for about 3 yrs, been a tech for 9. rad support aint ****. from springfield, ma to you is how far? 250-300? so we'll say 2 tanks roundtrip, $60, plus 125 for the job
Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, if I can bolt it on I would just like to do that. Do you have any advice on bolting it on? Is it safe to do?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't see why not, it's not really holding a ton of weight.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:37 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah, i dont see why not, as long as it was temporary, using at least grade 8 bolts, if not 10. you'd wanna take it to get welded within a few miles of it being bolted, just to be sure. front end geometry is difficult to regain if it has been lost, and any twisting right there is gonna screw it up.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea, but the thing is... the only thing seperating another car from my motor bay is the radiator support and the front bumper support. And Im not sure if you know but the front bumper support is fiberglass and pretty weak IMO. I just dont want to get into a front end collision and not have the front end hold up you know.

MADDTEL, here is the link from mapquest.
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...j&2z=08690&r=f
Old 11-07-2006, 01:44 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

yah, i dont see why not, as long as it was temporary, using at least grade 8 bolts, if not 10. you'd wanna take it to get welded within a few miles of it being bolted, just to be sure. front end geometry is difficult to regain if it has been lost, and any twisting right there is gonna screw it up.
Im not sure if I will be able to have it welded after the front end is put together. I think everything may have to come off again. If not, than I will just bolt it on and when ever I get the car finished enough to the point where Im going to drive it (atleast a few years from now lol) I can have it welded up. Do you have any comments on this? Would it be possible to weld the radiator support on while the front end is assembled.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:48 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

im gonna have to look at my car tomorrow at work to answer that question. i'm not sure where the stock weld locations are at the moment, so i really can't say what will need to come out, off the top of my head. i'll let you know. i don't think it should be a problem.

Quick Reply: Bolt On Radiator Support