5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need more info on porting heads and cam combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:52 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default need more info on porting heads and cam combo

im lookin for more power and i had a friend tell me about this website:
http://www.thumperoforangepark.com/

i was wondering about the #3

doesnt it seem like a good deal...?? and how extensive is a head/cam swap??
Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need more info on porting heads and cam combo

Do you know how mucht they would charge you to port your heads ? A ported gt40 head should flow pretty well, but it all depends on the price. And a HCI swap is pretty intensive......If you've never done it before ( like myself, before i just jumped into it ) it can be very time consuming and frustrating, but you just gotta look at the positive side of it. You'll be saving tons of money by doing it yourself, and you'll have the knowledge, which is pricesless, but great indeed.
If your not mechanically inclined, and have no confidence in doing it yourself, then i prolly wouldnt do it. But if you have basic mechanical skills, then it shouldnt be all that bad. Get a good repair manual and follow it closely, a ford manual would be the best, i used a hayness, which isnt very specific on alot of things, as to where the ford manual will be. Gotta make sure you have all the right tools for the job too, theres nothing worse than having to stop in the middle of what you doing to go out and buy a tool just to get it done, i had to do that like 15 times......
Old 11-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

ok, im good friends with thumper, we talk all the time, im going to tell you the same thing hes going to tell you. for any sbf heads he charges $695 to port, and if you dont send your heads in first its a $100 core. which he will refund you when you send your heads in(e7te). if he ports your e7te's they will outflow stock gt-40s, but you port a set of gt-40s and your in business, outflowing aluminum ones. now a head/cam/intake swap is very helpful, itll breath new life into your engine. for $695 he will port & polish your heads & upgrade your springs if your going to be running a bigger then stock cam. for a valve job to change your valves your looking at $175. and hes going to tell you that if you run the heads with bigger valves your going to risk piston to valve clearance, unless he tells you where to notch your pistons. his combo he sells is ported heads, a cam choice of b-303, e-303, and the trickflow stage 1. also it includes a double roller timing chain & gear & 9 point key. tell him what you want, your hopes & goals of the car and hell recommend a cam, and hell also tell you where to put it in at to advance it, which make it like a totally diff cam.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Ecstasy ia thumper reliable then???
Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

yep, really reliable, tell him what you want and what you plan on doing and hell recommend everything.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I've heard of several people that have used Thumper heads and loved them. I've spoken w/ him thru email a few times and he seems to be a nice guy and very helpful. If I were doing it, I'd have him port GT40's and install the larger, stainless valves....
Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

he doesnt recommend installing larger valves unless your chaning your pistons because your going to run into piston to valve clearence.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing you're on a budget since you're thinking about going with Thumper? Another good budget place is www.tmossporting.com/
Old 11-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

im not really on a budget, i just dont want aluminum heads lol.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

$700 to port a set of heads!!! Do they port by hand?? IMO, GT-40's arent worth porting, valves are too small.

The BEST place Ive found for porting in general is extrudehone --> http://www.gethoned.com/

Last time I checked for the same amount as what thumper charges for JUST head porting, extrudehone will port the heads and intake. They use a special process of shoving an abrasive paste where your T-body is and itll come out the intake valve. They are BY FAR the most consistant in port size and quality.
-P.

Quick Reply: need more info on porting heads and cam combo