5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what to look for in a cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default what to look for in a cam?

ok, im debating on putting a cam in my car... i no i cant go to agressive as its SD. but i wanna do something? im looking at teh sticky on cams right now... it only tells me whats SD compatable. so my ? is what should i look for in a cam to make it a good cam? and what gives cams that lope that you hear? preformance comes before sound for me, but id like ppl to hear it and say, yea its got a cam. for now i just plan on doing a cam if i do it at all. then later , a while later, ill convert to mass air and get a h/c/i kit.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what to look for in a cam?

what all do you want, just sound, driveability, performance? you want low end tq, or mid-high rpm power?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

should been clearer... sorry...

its a DD car.. and a stick.

i want performance/driveability 1st
and then yes id like to have a nice sound to go w. it too.

as far as low end torque or high/mid range hp... id say i want the torque. honestly... whichever would lower my 1/4 times, lol... i assume torque is what i want... but if mid/high hp would be better.. then by all means....
Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im not gonna lie... id really like to have a good sound come from it....
Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

well usually duration is what gives you power. Lopiness of a cam comes from the relation of the duration and the Lobe seperation. Ie if the duration is 220 and the LS is 112, it'll be less lopey than if the duration is 220 and the LS is 110.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

not your fault bro, i just dont want to give you the wrong opinion because i dont wanna hurt your feelings like i did iluvmystang j\k lol. but nah umm lets see

honestly your only going to get 1/3 maybe 2/3.

the f-303 sounds nice, operates 2500-6??? something. it has a rougher idle(more lope) but to take advantage of that power youd have to change your rear end gears to 3.73s or 4.10s and when you do you can almost certainly kiss driveability goodbye and by the the time u get up there, if its a dd on street tires your going to fry them so your going to have hooking issues.

b-303 sounds nice and performs good, its awesome lowend tq & it reaches its peak early which is good. cuz its flatten your hp/tq curve out which you want it to peak out earlier.

tfs1 ive never had this cam or came accross it in a car in person but alot of ppl say its a good cam, it has good operating range 2000-6000rpms, you dont have as much bottom end as you do the b, but if your going to keep your stock heads this cam is perfect, because the exhuast stays open longer then the intake to help get rid of the air, fords most common problem is exhaust, you can easily get in air but to get rid of it is where ford lacks, so if you have the stock heads go with the tfs1 because itll give you the most noticeable. it has a split duration/lift. but if your going to go with heads & intake id recommend the b for driveability, its a nice mild street/strip cam. but if you have the extra few bucks go with an ams cam, they perform awesome. now you can advance your cam up to 4 degrees even a little higher depending on the timing chain gears & all that. which would make it seem like a totally different cam it would lope more, kick in earlier and feel alot better, but you have to be cautious with advancing a cam because the computers sometimes dont like to compensate for the advancing of the cam. for what you want, if you dont have the money to go with an ams or custom grind, go with the b or tfs1.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:28 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

so high duration+ low(number) separation= lope sound

and the more duration=more power

am i right?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

so high duration+ low(number) separation= lope sound

and the more duration=more power

am i right?
yup. Thats why the B cam makes more power than the E cam with less lift
Old 11-09-2006, 04:31 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

hows this?

the sticky says itll work w. SD.. and it seems to be the biggest duration i can use w. sd, again acording to the sticky... and has the smallest separation i can get w. SD too....
Old 11-09-2006, 04:32 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

that makes sense... longer duration=more time for fuel to get in/out... ok... im learnin here.lol...

Quick Reply: what to look for in a cam?