5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Chevy guy gone Ford??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

Default Chevy guy gone Ford??

i have always been a chevy guy all my life, always hated on Fords and never wanted to be seen near one... well i have a lot of friends that are into Fords, Mustangs inparticular.. aaand i think they might have gotten me to slightly change my mind here.

Well i guess ive kinda realised the potintial in these cars, and mostly the speed per dollar ratio. Thats what really got my attention! The Fox bodys are what i am kind of looking at... again its still hard for me to really admit im looking into Mustangs, let alone actually registering on a Mustang Forum lol. But slowly but surely they are growing on me.

The whole point to this thread is i am asking some opinions here. Like i said im looking for a 5.0 Fox, but not sure if i want a notch, LX, or a GT. I like the notches because they are lighter but they are some what rare and harder to find a decent one. an LX... eh wutever, and a GT.. big tank! A buddy of mine has a GT with a few mods and i drove it today and its not to bad a driver. i actually kinda liked it. But it does feel like a big car.

There is a 91' black GT here localy, 5 sp, all stock other than exhaust (not sure exactly wut exhaust), but its really really clean. The guy is asking $4k, and really wants to get rid of it so im sure i could get it for $3,500. Now there are a couple other stangs locally but i cant really figure out what i want.

I would like to keep the price of the car under 5k, because for buying my first Ford, i dont want to pay that much, and two i want to ahve some chagne left to make it faster! which is a whole other topic. The mods. say i get a GT fox... and i want a very daily driveable car that can keep up with LS1's and such.. so prolly at least run 13's and id be thrilled to be high 12's low 13's. What would some basic mods be to get me there?? I want to stay all motor startin out, and then maybe throw on a super charger down the road. Ya for a chevy guy, im sure you can tell i been thinking about mustangs a lil bit lol.

so anyway gimmie some thoughts of modle of car, what to look for in buying one, and some good basic mods to get me in the 13's. Thanks guys!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:03 AM
90gt831
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Chevy guy gone Ford??

i like the gt just cause they look niice, but the lx isnt bad either ot a fan of the notch, well goodluck
Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ahhh, switching camps huh ? ...nothing wrong with that, there's always room to love both chevy and ford. ok so basically you want something N/A that can keep up and beat on stock LS1s... there's different ways to do it, on the track is one thing, on the street it's another. with some sticky tires, suspension work and a couple bolt-ons, you could easily reach your low 13sec goal. but if you also need the power from a roll, then the next step would be a nice H/C/I set-up, good aluminum heads, like AFR165, edelbrock performer, trick flow TW...etc, many to choose from. then a good intake, again you can go with trick flow or edelbrock, and then get a nice cam that matches your combo. alot of people have had good results with relatively cheap set-ups too if you're on a budget, like gt-40 explorer heads, used cobra intake and low-buck alphabet cam... the aftermarket is basically endless for these cars, so the sky's the limit... and welcome aboard[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 11-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Whatever stallion you pick is a good stallion......
And to get into the low 13's i'd go for a trickflow top end kit, its a complete HCI combo that puts down around 300rwhp, roughly, and with a good suspension setup, and some good tires and gears you'll be there. The kit is 2100, but includes everything.....You'll also want to upgrade supprting mods like TB, MAF, advanced timing, larger injectors, AFPR, and fuel pump.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

hmm good info so far guys! really appriciate it!

$2,100 for that kit huh? i guess im really stingy, and was wanting to spend a lil less than that to get me in the 13's to start off with, after i get the basics done (exhaust, intake, gears, aluminum drive shart, etc) and find that the car is still solid and is a good daily driver then go into a cam, heads, and that type of thing. idk im just really picky and particular but still willing to tryin new stuff.

keep the ideas coming, how about some brands of basic bolt ons, i.e. exhaust, gears, drive shaft, intake,... etc. and maybe general prices to kinda see what ill have to work with. i guess you could say i am on a budget to start off with, again because this will be my first Ford and i wanna make sure im happy with it before i go crazy.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

I personally did a budget build. Went with gt40P heads 500 on ebay w/.600 springs, and a 5 angle valve job ( explorer heads, 971/2-99, i think..) Trickflow cam, 160 $, and a trickflow intake 400 $. I went ahead and replace timing chain, cheapy from summit, lifters from FRPP, comp cam pushrods, new rockers, and some other small things. I plan to hit around 280-300 whp after a good tune.

Mustangs have pretty strong axles to begin with, its a 8.8" rearend, and can handle some stress. Get some 3.73 gears w/ 5spd, or some 4.10's w/ auto. Gears are usually around 150 $, and around 200-250 to get installed, unless you can do it and have the right tools.
Good exhaust- BBk headers, off road H or X pipe, for exhaust....flowmasters are always good, but not the best, slp1 and slpII are great, perform great and sound great.
Underdrive pulleys you can get for cheap and free up some HP. I'm sure you can get them for around 50$ on ebay.

Your gonna want a good suspension setup to get that power to the ground. Springs, struts/shocks, u/l controll arms, subframe connectors, strut tower brace....

Larger MAF, prolly 73mm, and larger TB are alos good bolt ons, I'd go with a 65mm TB, prolly BBK.

I personally LOVE ebay, they have great deals all the time. So i'd check there for sure.

Also get some good sticky tires, i hear nitto 555r's are a great street tire, and hook up very well.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:18 AM
shakes
2nd Gear Member

just a suggestion... don't bother getting the aluminum drive shaft... it's not really needed yet. Hard to justify spending that money and not getting any gains so early in the modding game. The stock one works just fine.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 on the driveshaft.

For mid-low 13's I would just get a Notch, do some suspension work (upper/lower control arms, shocks/struts, springs, subframes, etc), gears (3.73's, 3.90's or 4.10's), sticky tires and some minor upgading to the motor. You should be able to pull those times with that alone if you can drive.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

+1 on the suspension work. little bit of suspension work and you will be able to hit 13s on a stock longblock. a good start would be sub frame connectors, 4 cylinder springs up front, and some good control arms. you can also remove the smog pump if it needs it to free up a little hp. another pretty cheap option is an electric fan. you can go to a junkyard and get one out of something like a taurus or a lincoln mark VIII and it will cool very well, and free up a few hp. also remove the air silencer if you havent already.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

If you're wanting to go fast without spending alot of money then I would just buy nitrous. There's a guy here running 11's one a stock engine with a 125 shot, modded aod, 4.10s, and suspension work. I think he also has some weight removed too.

Quick Reply: Chevy guy gone Ford??