5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

first car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default first car

I am thinking about a 5.0 for my son who is getting his lisence soon. I am not sure if this would be a wise choice due to the fact that he would be driving in the snow. He seems do be an excellent driver, he is really pushing for one. He says it will help his mechanical abilitys. I am wondering those of you who have had a 5.0 fox for your first car have you had good experiances or people who have bought there kids 5.0's. I no this is not the appropriate section for this but this is the place where you can get a good response from 5.0 guys. Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: first car

my first car is a 90 notch with a 351w!!!....and i am still 17!! [8D] buy it for him
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

I don't know how well they would do in the snow. i know mine is lousy just in the rain. i would be more worried about a new driver with that much power. my son is going to get a huge pos truck for his first vehicle whether he likes it or not. lol
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

personally i wouldn't. unless your son is one of those dignified, does his homework goody tooshoes kinda kids, he's gonna beat it, maybe even hurt himself. he only drives good in front of you. he doesn't have the road knowledge or experience to be able to manuever a car like this, especially when he's showing off. just my opinion tho.... for his safety, unless you really believe he can handle it, i wouldnt. my 2nd car was a fox and i got REAL cocky. almost died a few times, till the tranny blew and i got a 4cyl wrangler. now there's a good starter vehicle.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

personally i wouldn't. unless your son is one of those dignified, does his homework goody tooshoes kinda kids, he's gonna beat it, maybe even hurt himself. he only drives good in front of you. he doesn't have the road knowledge or experience to be able to manuever a car like this, especially when he's showing off. just my opinion tho.... for his safety, unless you really believe he can handle it, i wouldnt. my 2nd car was a fox and i got REAL cocky. almost died a few times, till the tranny blew and i got a 4cyl wrangler. now there's a good starter vehicle.
+1. well put.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

dono if its a good car for him in the snow, depending on how bad winter is for you. its a good choice if you like driving sideways completely out of control, but not so much for safety
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

go buy him a chevy cavalier, or a probe, maybe even a honda.... something that he wont get killed in by going too fast...
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

+1. Even the best kid will want to show off in front of his friends or a girl. He just doesn't have the road experience, I wouldn't think. He might hate you, but unless he really proves to you that he is level-headed (which is basically no teenage male), then I would be very cautious about buying him the car. I'm not sure what I would do, maybe not let him drive it all the time, or whatnot. I don't think a 5.0 is a very good first vehicle, though. Stock ones will still go sideways easily in the rain, and especially in the snow. My frist vehicle was a 94 Ranger with a 2.3L I-4 and a 5-speed...I couldn't have raised hell in that truck if I'd wanted to.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

my first car was a 86 mustang GT I loved that car, I learned SO MUCH, fixing anything and everything, I treated her right but sadly the good ones die young, damn leaking gas tank [:@]

I would get a junker/beat up one and slowly let him fix/pay for the parts that way he has a good understanding of what it takes to have a 5.0
Old 11-09-2006, 09:37 PM
alec3369
2nd Gear Member

my first cars a 5.0 , im 16 . but im also a cautiious driver. Idk about the snow however.

Quick Reply: first car