5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Potential 5.0 owner... question for the tall guys!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:52 AM
thork

Default Potential 5.0 owner... question for the tall guys!

Hello everyone, I have forgotten I registered on these forums a while ago, but I had never made a post!

As an introduction, I'll just give a little background. The present; the time has come. I have finaly paid off a small loan I took from a nice relative of mine who helped pay for my current car, a nice point A-to-point B commuter car, an Acura Integra. No, I haven't done any work to it, why bother? It's a great car to get to and from work/school, but I am now looking for what I have always wanted, a fox-body 5.0 Mustang.

When I was a kid (am I still? hehe) my neighbor bought a brand new red '93 LX 5.0 convertible. I always loved that car, looking back on it, I can clearly remember the rumble of the exhaust pipes, because he was always adding something on to it to make it a bit quicker, I can remember a white hurst shifter on the inside as well. I didn't know much about cars at the time of course, and he has since moved on to an '03 yellow Cobra, but that car's image has always stuck with me.

Anyways, enough of a trip down memory lane, on to the QUESTION:

I'm 6'4" and well, needless to say, my knees are practicaly rubbing up against the small Integra's steering wheel. Is the 87-93 5.0 coupe/hatch going to give me the same sort of problem, or am I going to fit ok?

I was considering the newer, '99+ GT's, and it was an OK fit with my legs, but it's pretty tricky to find a dealer with a foxbody on the lot, discounting the shady fly-by-night dealers.

SO I guess my question is, will I have any knees-against-steering wheel problems, based on your experience, owner of the fox or not, how do you find the legroom to be?

Of course, I'll be testing some out in the coming weeks, but I thought I would ask you guys first to sort of see what to expect.

Thanks, any suggestions/questions/answers are much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Potential 5.0 owner... question for the tall guys!

I have seen seat track extenders for 5.0 fox bodies. Yearone maybe?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:08 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

well im not exactly tall but i dont think you should have any probems. I have a lot of room in my 93.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:15 AM
thork

Hey, thanks for the responses. Yeah, the newer GT's are a little tight, but I figured maybe the older one's would be a bit more barebones or something, maybe have a little more room.

If worse comes to worst I can always either purchase a seat rail extender, or fabricate my own somehow, maybe just punch an extra set of holes in the stock rail.

Thanks again, I guess I won't know for sure until I try one out.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:22 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

yeah you will need to try it to find out, but the foxes are a lot less cramped than the newer stangs. Hope it works out for ya!
Old 08-15-2004, 02:37 AM
thork

Yes, this is what I'm hoping for. Always loved the fox's. I would definitely go for a newer one too, but I would first like to try out a fox body for size
Old 08-15-2004, 04:14 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I'm 6'3" and once I GET in, there's plenty of room.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:21 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

yeah im 6'3 and 240 lbs and i have plenty of room. you should be fine if you push the seat all the way back
Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 AM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

no tilt on the airbag (90-93) cars though, so that might be a problem. if you can find an 89, that would be super ideal cause its the only year with mass air but no airbags (so it has tilt). also about as ideal is a mass air converted 87-88.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:01 AM
ParrotHead
2nd Gear Member

5'8" and not a problem for me! LOL... Can I get seat rail extenders FOR THE FRONT? So I can sit my short *** closer? LOL...

Quick Reply: Potential 5.0 owner... question for the tall guys!