5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Does H-Pipe cause reduction in torque on stock engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:02 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Does H-Pipe cause reduction in torque on stock engine?

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

you dont want one or the other you want both at the same time. with just the exhaust you are blowing out more are then you can take in which looses power. with just the cai you are sucking in too much air and not able to push it out fast enough which will also loose power. now with both you are sucking in all that air but you are able to push it out fast enough with the exhaust. this gives you the perfect air flow and back pressure for best performance out of a stock motor with no bolt ons
I don't know if I agree with having the one or the other losing power. I can understand both being inplace is optimal, but that is like saying putting headers on is stupid without a better flowing intake(I know it helps to have both, but it wont hurt you to have one or the other)

JMO
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

The loss in power you have felt is due to the flowmasters. They have been dyno proven to add little to no power, and in some cases, actually COST power.
I beg to differ
Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

you dont want one or the other you want both at the same time. with just the exhaust you are blowing out more are then you can take in which looses power. with just the cai you are sucking in too much air and not able to push it out fast enough which will also loose power. now with both you are sucking in all that air but you are able to push it out fast enough with the exhaust. this gives you the perfect air flow and back pressure for best performance out of a stock motor with no bolt ons
I don't know if I agree with having the one or the other losing power. I can understand both being inplace is optimal, but that is like saying putting headers on is stupid without a better flowing intake(I know it helps to have both, but it wont hurt you to have one or the other)

JMO
nope its true i was told by my friend that went through tech school for this stuff
Old 11-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

But isn't the point of putting on a better flowing, bigger exhaust to move the powerband upward and strengthen it...at the expense of low end? That has always been my experience with exhaust and intake mods.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 PM
84redfox
2nd Gear Member

Yeah...you dont really lose torque in a sense. Ultimately you gain torque, but just at a higher rpm.

And its not backpressure that causes the gain or lose in torque. You want absolutely no backpressure to get the most out of your engine. It is the exhaust velocity that comes in to play when people say things like, "The bigger exhaust, the less power." The article was posted about that on here not too long ago.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:02 AM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

original:84redfox
Yeah...you dont really lose torque in a sense. Ultimately you gain torque, but just at a higher rpm.

And its not backpressure that causes the gain or lose in torque. You want absolutely no backpressure to get the most out of your engine. It is the exhaust velocity that comes in to play when people say things like, "The bigger exhaust, the less power." The article was posted about that on here not too long ago.
I certainly dont agree with that. That is why you are NOT supposed to have 3" exhaust when you have a stock or lightly modified engine. It all has to fit together correctly. Having absolutely no backpressure is gonna cause problems.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89GTRed

I certainly dont agree with that. That is why you are NOT supposed to have 3" exhaust when you have a stock or lightly modified engine. It all has to fit together correctly. Having absolutely no backpressure is gonna cause problems.

I don't think you got what he meant. He was saying that you want little to no back pressure, but keeping your velocity. Without velocity, you would lose power. If you put huge exhaust on, yes, you can lose power, same with porting your heads too big for your valves or intake...but the idea is to have less restriction.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:14 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

When I did my h-pipe and headers on both my 5.0s, there was a noticable amount of bottom end torque lost but it's got more guts up top.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89GTRed

I'm just thinking aloud here. I don't know whether there should or shouldn't be a certain amount of backpressure to get the best performance. I do know (or at least have read) that the main thing in pipe diameter is maintaining good velocity. There is something called the scavaging effect, whereby, not only are exhaust pulses pushed along through the exhaust system, but they are also pulled along by the pulses in front of them. I think that greater diameter pipes lessen this scavaging effect. I also think that the scavaging effect is most crucual to low end (torque). I'm no expert though.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:43 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

The answer here is, it depends. If you want maximum power, you'll test all 3 with your completed combination and see what the engine wants or needs. X/H/or straight......back pressure is needed,but the location is more important.

velocity is what/how exhaust flow is drawn out

Quick Reply: Does H-Pipe cause reduction in torque on stock engine?