5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help me finalize my H/C/I combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:00 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Help me finalize my H/C/I combo

Okay, I think I know what I am going with. First is the camshaft. Looks like I will be getting the Steeda #19 cam. All the reports I read said that it's great for the SN95 5.0 computer and it's great for forced induction applications. So those are two great benefits for me right there. Next are the Cylinder Heads and the Upper / Lower Intake Manifolds... those are all going to be GT-40. So here's where I need help.

Chances are I'll be grabbing the heads from a junked Explorer, so I'm going to want to replace some things. Does anyone have any recommendations for rockers, lifters, or springs that will work good with this combo? Any other parts I am forgetting or anything else I should change while I've got everything out? Any other suggestions?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:47 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help me finalize my H/C/I combo

IMO if you're gonna spend the time and money I'd really go for a better set of heads, especially since you're running a cam and boost, i think it would be very worth the money
Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

I'd say go for the P heads, but with a boosted application, i donno about that 9.5:1 compression. Is there any chance you could get those 40's ported ?
And for the rockers..I'd get some nice 1.6 RR's, crane energizerz are nice, and nto too expensive....I donno about the 40's, but with the P's i had to get a conversion kit so i could use stud mount rockers on pedestal mount heads, and that kit is aorund 80 $, but i dono if the 40's are stud or pedestal. I'd get some ford racing lifters, tey are nice, and not too price, i think around 100 $. I'd prolly upgrade those springs on those heads a bit, maybe up to .550 springs just to be on the safe side. Whats the lift on your cam ? I'd definatly get new pushrods too, mightaswell get new ones while your there.....
I'd pick up a new timing chain too, i went with a summit double roller, it was pretty cheap...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I'm afraid of a better set of heads, LoL. I figure this swap (along with a set of headers) should get me to 400 RWHP. Right now I'm 320 RWHP. If I lose the stock TB, headers, heads, cam, intake and increase my timing then I should be able to gain 80 more HP with 10 PSI of boost. I know that I run 430 RWHP with the nitrous, and I'm trying to back away from the N2O so I don't have to rely on it as much. But I think that if I push that much HP on a regular basis, I'm going to have to drop some serious cash on a new tranny that can handle it.

I liked the GT40 because they are a nice step up and aren't too expensive or aggressive. I could always go aluminum GT40s and shed 40 - 50lbs or so, but I don't know if I wanna jump into RPMs, TFs, and definately not AFRs. And besides, the GT40's have low compression which is great for forced induction. And from what many have said, they will outflow some decent aftermarket heads if I take them to a machine shop and get them p/p.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

If you get them P/P, i say go for it, that would be a good combo. A P/P will really wake those heads up. And you dont havet o fuss with different headers for the P heads....
Old 11-14-2006, 05:27 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I don't wanna mess with the P's for now.

Not sure how I forgot about the timing chain. I think it was because I had been looking at the TFTW kit that comes with it so I had forgotten that I needed one. Same thing for pushrods.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Yea, the P are kindof a pain in the ***. First off i had to buy new headers, the spark plugs are WEIRD as hell, they go almost strait in. I had trouble threadin a plug cuz the gasket for the headers, i had to bend it up because it wouldnt let a socket go in, it was just all strange. I hope they make good power tho, if i hit 300rwhp with my setup i'm gonna be extatic. I think i'll be close. What are you gonna do about tunin it ?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

As far as tuning, I've got access to a dyno, so that's not a problem. But i do want to get a tuner as well. I was thinking of dropping some cash on a TwEECer just so I have something of my own. But I'm not sure if that's the unit I wanna go with. Any other suggestions for something to tune a 95 GT with? I love the TwEECer, but it has a STEEP learning curve. I'd rather find something a bit more user friendly.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:24 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

So you dont want too much power is what you're saying?

You might wanna look at the Anderson PMS, there's another one also but it's like $1600...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

So you dont want too much power is what you're saying?
You might wanna look at the Anderson PMS, there's another one also but it's like $1600...
As weird as it sounds, that's exactly what I'm saying. On the bottle I'm getting 430 RWHP right now. That's with a 100-shot that actually puts down 110 HP (most likely due to the forced induction.) I'd like to put down 400 - 450 RWHP. Ideally I'd like it to be 400 without the bottle (instead of the 320 I have now) and 450 with a small shot on N2O. I really don't want to go above that...at least not for this car.

Quick Reply: Help me finalize my H/C/I combo