5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

all mechanics! #2cyl no compression*Pics updated*

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:01 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default all mechanics! #2cyl no compression*Pics updated*

on my daily driver (2.9 bronco II) has 170k and it has 0 compression on the #2 cylinder. The mechanic told me that i could have a hole at the top of the piston, my spark plug is also destoyed, something got in the engine he says. But i dont burn oil, a hole in the piston would cause oil to be pumped into the compression chamber and burned and would be pumped into the exhaust i thought?

The trucks gone 2000 miles on 5 cylinders and its still running. Whats the deal why would the #2 cylinder have no compression? Theres no valvetrain noise and no valve tap, it cant be the valves. The oils new, clean and full. Its a general mechanical question that im sure itll happen in 5.0s too...i just had to post it here. WHat else could it be? What went wrong inside?

Old 11-17-2006, 10:05 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: all mechanics! #2cyl no compression

those ole noisey POS broncos I'd say your guy has hit it on the head..odd your not hearing a slight pop noise....**** drive it til it dies
Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0

on my daily driver (2.9 bronco II) has 170k and it has 0 compression on the #2 cylinder. The mechanic told me that i could have a hole at the top of the piston, my spark plug is also destoyed, something got in the engine he says. But i dont burn oil, a hole in the piston would cause oil to be pumped into the compression chamber and burned and would be pumped into the exhaust i thought?

The trucks gone 2000 miles on 5 cylinders and its still running. Whats the deal why would the #2 cylinder have no compression? Theres no valvetrain noise and no valve tap, it cant be the valves. The oils new, clean and full. Its a general mechanical question that im sure itll happen in 5.0s too...i just had to post it here. WHat else could it be? What went wrong inside?

not with 0 compression.

the only way to tell if there is a hole in the piston is either with a scope, or compressed air. you can pump air into the cylinder when its on either the compression or power stroke. If air starts coming out the oil filler cap.. you know youve got a BIG problem... if the motor tries to spin... then you still have a problem.... but less of one

you could have a stuck valve
Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Well, was it running poorly before this incedent. Yes, there could ba a hole in the piston, burnt valve, seized rocker holding the valve open. Seized guide holding the valve open. What makes him suspect the piston theory? Ok when you say the plug is destroyed, elaborate. Do you have it and can you post a pic of it?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:09 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

if the valve is stuck spray some wd40 in the plug hole might free it up hell if it worked on my 3 wheeler should work on that
Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

yeah you can get a cheap scope for 20bucks it work it in te long run also pop the valve cover off see if the rocker arm , valve spring are moving or not broken then go form their
Old 11-17-2006, 10:16 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

the car runs with a dead cylinder and i put plenty of mileage on it. ill put pics up of the plugs when i pick it up from my mechanic...we couldnt figure it out. Would there be any kind of valve problems that wouldnt be noticable to the ear?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

PONY GUY Date 11/17/2006 8:13:43 PM
yeah you can get a cheap scope for 20bucks it work it in te long run also pop the valve cover off see if the rocker arm , valve spring are moving or not broken then go form their
im no mechanic but if i ran it without the valve cover to see the valves movin, wouldnt oil shoot all over the place?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

they make clips to keep the rocker from throwing oil
Old 11-17-2006, 10:28 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

not really, only a little. the pressure through the pushrods isn't much, but you can but a kit at autozone to plug the holes if you wanna run it with the cover off. otherwise, just hand cranking the motor, barely any oil will come out.

Quick Reply: all mechanics! #2cyl no compression*Pics updated*