5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gt-40 intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default gt-40 intake questions

i think i'm going to go with a gt-40 intake on my '95, and i have a few questions. first, do the ones off the explorers have some kind of issue with the EGR stuff? I've heard there is a difference with their smog systems and ours. second, i cant find the new tubular style ones anywhere, are these not made anymore? or are they called something different? and, would something like this work?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/musta...spagenameZWDVW

how much of a pain in the *** would that thing be to get to work on my car? would i be better off just ordering something new (if i can even find one) and getting all the parts i need with it? i know i need an elbow adapter and stuff, i dont care about that, i just want to make sure this thing is actually going to go on and work properly without me putting my fist through my windshield. if anybody has any experience with putting a gt-40 on a sn95 i would really appreciate some advice.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:05 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: gt-40 intake questions

you will need THIS lower

and one of THESE uppers

Then you will need an ELBOW LIKE THIS
Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

i like that upper, it looks pretty good...will there be EGR issues though? will i need an external EGR plate? or is there some way to delete the EGR without f*cking everything up?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 PM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

I went with the gt40 upper intake off an explorer and used the edelbrock elbow.The elbow i bought(on ebay)didnt have the hole for the egr unit.So i removed the egr and the tube to the pass header.I had a cel light on but it never ran bad.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 PM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

the real 40 upper isn't manufactured anymore, but plenty of them out there

try summit or jegs, or try ebay

lots of them there.

i thikn the real 40 is the best looking intake hands down, and it performs well too. port the lower for a crazy flow gain.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:57 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

i like that upper, it looks pretty good...will there be EGR issues though? will i need an external EGR plate? or is there some way to delete the EGR without f*cking everything up?
external egr... dude... stop smoking crack... your EGR bolts to the OUTSIDE of the manifold

with the parts i have listed for you, it will end up bolting to the elbow instead of the upper. Location wise, its in the same place.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:57 PM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

the real 40 upper isn't manufactured anymore, but plenty of them out there

try summit or jegs, or try ebay

lots of them there.

i thikn the real 40 is the best looking intake hands down, and it performs well too. port the lower for a crazy flow gain.
I agree the true GT40 is a great looking intake and performs very well but, there isn't alot of them out there anymore. I've had mine for about 2 years now off ebay, and I haven't seen one on ebay for a long time. Glad I got mine when I did, sort of a collector item now. Seems when you find a good one they bring alot of money now.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

yea they do bring alot of money, but having said that I see them on ebay all the time. Very nice looking intake thats for sure.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

external egr... dude... stop smoking crack... your EGR bolts to the OUTSIDE of the manifold

with the parts i have listed for you, it will end up bolting to the elbow instead of the upper. Location wise, its in the same place.

oh gee whiz, adder made a smart *** comment, imagine that. i know it bolts to the outside of the manifold, where did i say it didnt? i mean do you need a different EGR plate like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: gt-40 intake questions