5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 AM
mislead
1st Gear Member

Default clutch pedal

Today i was driving and all of a sudden it got hard to shift and then i pressed the cltuch pedal and i heard something snap. Now it has no pressure what so ever and won't engage the clutch. Haven't really got to look at it, pretty sure its the clutch cable, if it isn't any other ideas of what it is? Its a 87 ford mustang 5.0 gt.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:17 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch pedal

well if it's all stock might aswell replace it all...pilot bearing/throwout bearing/clutch ect.

yes the cable is your m.o.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

If it's stock, theres an automatic adjuster under the dash that uses a cheap plastic gear type set up... My guess would be that broke or stripped...
Old 11-18-2006, 12:05 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Remove the black cover form the side of the bell housing and see if you can pull the end of the clutch cable out. If the cable pulls out than it is broken. If it is intact then the quadrant is broken or the fork broke. It is also possible that the throwout bearing retainer is grooved up and the bearing is hanging up on it and causing extra force needed to push the clutch in breaking the cable.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:46 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sacmo

If it's stock, theres an automatic adjuster under the dash that uses a cheap plastic gear type set up... My guess would be that broke or stripped...
thats possible, but more than likly if it were his quadrant, hed hear a ratcheting sound. my vote is that its the cable.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Sounds like cable. Same thing happened to me. Ended up having to push it into the garage to fix it (luckily the car was at the house).
Old 11-18-2006, 08:00 PM
mislead
1st Gear Member

all rite i checked the cable out, the cable is fine. The pedal does make a racheting sound when pressed. The cable is not being pulled at all when the pedal is pressed. If it is the quadrant where can i get a new one? also the t/o bearing fork that the cable is attached to, should i be able to pull it back with my hand, cause i can't pull it back.

thanks,
Ben
Old 11-18-2006, 09:00 PM
wine_maker
2nd Gear Member

dont know look here
Old 11-18-2006, 11:35 PM
mislead
1st Gear Member

I was wondering how hard should it be to pull the clutch cable. Should i be able to move the throwout bearding fork with my hand? Cause i'm thinking maybe the reason the quadrant is slipping is because the cable is to hard to pull. if it should be hard to pull then i'm going to order the quadrant and hopefully that will fix things.
thanks,
Ben
Old 11-19-2006, 12:15 PM
wine_maker
2nd Gear Member

not much by hand I would and did order the quad kit (quad;cable:and firewall adjuster) 149 or so
old cable may be bad (hard to slide) that will wast the plastic quad>

Quick Reply: clutch pedal