5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ruff idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ruff idle

save the octane booster for later and get you some "dry gas" or gas line antifreeze stuff. tell the guy in the auto store you think you got some water in the gas and he can tell you what to get that works best. a couple of cans of this and some fresh good gas will dilute the water and maybe you'll get it out after some time.
I was pretty sharp on this one, won't I?
Old 08-22-2004, 12:00 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i really hope your right. i dont realy have the money to blow on o2 sensors. i defenately wont be getting gas from that 76 station ever again. hopefully i can get some of that stuff tonight or tomorrow.

by the way...what about the smell of it running rich? it has done that sense i got my cats taken off. is this normal or should i still get new o2 sensors?
Old 08-22-2004, 12:10 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you will smell the gas odor slightly more without the cats on because that's what the cats used to do, burn up the unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust gases so they didn't pollute the air. I was reading in my EEC-IV manual last night and the guy said to clear the KAM (keep alive memory) in the ECU, you need to leave the battery disconnected for at least 10 minutes or so for it to clear, so you might try clearing it again and see what this does. I learned the hard way about water in gas, don't ever buy gas where the truck is there making a delivery or just after he has finished delivering gas. The water gets there via condensation out of the air that fills the tank as the level drops and they have chemicals they can add when it gets to much in it, but when they are filling the tanks, the water gets all stirred up and pumped out instead of laying quietly in the bottom of the tanks where the pump usually can't reach it to pump it out into your tank. For what it's worth, I'm still using the original O2 sensors on my '88 and I don't get any engine lite with them and I got rid of my cats long time ago too before I took the car off the street and it has 108,000 miles on it now.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:45 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes? ive heard to hit the light switch while it is disconnected to fully erase it? have you heard of this?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:13 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

never heard of the light switch having anything to do with resetting the ECU! just remove the negative battery cable and let it sit for at least 10 minutes is what the book says. the ECU will then begin to learn the new sensors readings as they come in after you have made any changes in the engine systems.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:51 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

oh sorry stinger, i didnt know u were talkin bout my old hood, how would i get it to u, where do u live?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:52 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

is this something you should do after every mod you do? or just o2 sensors?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:57 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

what do u mean, something u should do after every mod, u dont replace ur o2 sensors after every mod
Old 08-22-2004, 03:20 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

no, i mean reset the ecu after every mod. replacing the o2 sensors after every mod would get expensive fast
Old 08-22-2004, 03:24 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

LOL it sure would! hahaha, anyway, yes you should reset the computer after any mod, obviously not for suspension mods and such, haha, but mods such as a cold air intake and throttle body, etc, basically any mod that allows more air to flow into or out of your engine yes, reset the computer.

Quick Reply: ruff idle