5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

problem: removing cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:25 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default problem: removing cylinder heads

Okay, I've spent most of the day stripping and cleaning the Explorer 302 I bought last saturday and for the most part it has been going great. I managed to take off the upper / lower intakes, clean them, and get them painted. It's not the greatest paint job but it looks better than they did. And It's not a show car anyway. I just wanted to clean up the engine bay a little and I figured that I might as well paint them to make them look a little cleaner.

If I was thinking straight, I would have taken a "before" pic of the upper. But here's some after pics of it, as well as a before and after of the lower intake. Just to give you an idea, the upper was just as dirty as the lower before. I hit them both with a wire brush, degreaser, simple green, and a sponge (not necessarily in that order.)

But anyway, here's my problem. I can't for the life of me get the bolts to budge on the cylinder heads. How in gods name can I get those damned things to budge? I'm thinking that I should go out and buy a really long ratchet to get some extra leverage, but I'm not sure if it would help enough to make a difference. Any of you have any idea how to get these botls to budge? They haven't moved since the engine was built in 1996 [&:]

I longer ratchet is about the only thin I can seriously think of to get this thing off. But I don't want to waste money if it wont help or if there's an easier way.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:28 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: problem: removing cylinder heads

They are torqued down so you'll have a hard time with a standard socket. You'd need a snipe (or bar on the end) but it would prolly break the wrench. I have a solid torque wrench that I use, got it at canadian tire for 12$.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:30 PM
XSRACINGGT
3rd Gear Member

on my 87 GT, they were really tight. I would get some penetrating lube on them. instead of a longer ratchet, I would use a 1/2 inch drive ratchet. and stick a pipe on the end of it to loosen them. remember, those are like 80 ft/lbs from the factory I think. that should help you out.

Oh, and the intake looks great. good job on it man.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:50 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

boy you wimp's need to work out....just get yourself a nice long 1/2 drive breaker bar ever tool box needs one ....you can get one cheap at harbor freight
Old 11-24-2006, 04:58 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

x1 on the breaker bar idea...those upper and lowwer intakes turned out really good.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:03 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

boy you wimp's need to work out....just get yourself a nice long 1/2 drive breaker bar ever tool box needs one ....you can get one cheap at harbor freight
Good call. I actualyl ended up running to Auto Zone down the street and found a 24' long 1/2 drive breaker bar. Gave it a shot and the bolts moved with hardly any effort. Wish I had bought one of these things earlier! lol.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

you may also want a cheater bar to go with that breaker bar, just a thought
Old 11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

x1 on the breaker bar idea...those upper and lowwer intakes turned out really good.
Thanks. They could have looked a lot better if I had spent more time on them, but I'm not trying to win any awards. Just want to give it a clerner look. Hopefully it will look as good when installed in the bay.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:12 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

I hope you used silver engine paint on the intake
Old 11-25-2006, 02:49 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Now is the time to throw the old head bolts out BTW.......

Quick Reply: problem: removing cylinder heads