5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new water pump, new thermo, new cap, same problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default new water pump, new thermo, new cap, same problem

ok, a little background, i was having problems with overheating, so i put a new water pump on, no help. New radiator cap, no help. And finally a new 165 thermo today and still overheating. I did notice when i had the other thermo in the temp gauge would stay at n on normal(or closer to the top) and now it stays it a(closer to the bottom) I thought everything was ok, but then i got home and steam was coming out the the water neck. I popped the radiatior cap off and steam and water came flying out(i know it was stupid but i did it anyway) Whats left here? Head gasket? Where do i get the radiator flushed at? About how much does it run?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:50 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: new water pump, new thermo, new cap, same problem

1st you have the wrong stat I only use a Mr. gasket 180.....are you sure the water pumps is working correctly? did you burp the system?...did you use a 50/50 or 60/40 mix? do you have a hose collapsing?
is your clutch on the fan working right? what is the time set at?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Didn't you say you didn't have you overflow hooked up or something...that will make steam. I would get a mechanical temp gauge before you do anything, considering your factory gauge wasn't reading hot. Just burp it again and watch the temp, You might not have anything wrong.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

why wont a 165 work? I dont exactly know how to tell if the water pump is working correctly, i also dont really know how to burp the system. And no there is no hose collapsing. I used all water just to check it, there is just a little antifreeze left in there. Yes the fan is working right. The time is a 10*
Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 PM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

165 THERMO MAY CAUSE YOUR CAR TO RUN ON OPEN LOOP WICH IS BAD
Old 11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

Didn't you say you didn't have you overflow hooked up or something...that will make steam. I would get a mechanical temp gauge before you do anything, considering your factory gauge wasn't reading hot. Just burp it again and watch the temp, You might not have anything wrong.
Yes, the overflow is still not hooked up. The gauge should be here soon, the holidays slowed my shipping up. How do burp the sytem? I probably sound like an idiot huh?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

No, you don't sound like a idiot...but you need to get the overflow hooked up. When ever you car warms up and your cap opens to release pressure(fluid) it goes on the ground, when it cools down, it will suck the fluid back in...so, you may be losing coolant that way.
To burp it...First off, when I fill mine, I undo the little coolant line to the T/B to let the air out as I fill. Fill it up, then hook the little line back up, leave the cap off and start it. Let it run till the thermo opens, then shut it down. Let it cool, then top off the coolant, put the cap on and drive it around. After a couple times of driving I will check it again and add coolant as needed.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

I dont have the coolant lines that go to the TB, i bypassed my heater core. Could i just undo my upper radiator hose and watch it carefully?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

i would be willing to bet that your radiator is clogged. the fastest and easiest way to tall is to run water through it while its completely disconnted. another way is to use an infared thermometer and scan the surface of the radiator for cold spots
Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nmerrill

I dont have the coolant lines that go to the TB, i bypassed my heater core. Could i just undo my upper radiator hose and watch it carefully?

You don't have to do that, I just do it to help. You could pull one of the plugs out of the intake, but you can just burp it and get the same results with less work.

Quick Reply: new water pump, new thermo, new cap, same problem