5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

universal joints????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default universal joints????

when i drive my car it does fine until about 60 65 and a little vibration comes in and you can here clunking noises aroung the back of the tranny and it also clunks a little when the car gets in a situation where you have to give it more gas like if i was going up my driveway in first the car is a 90 gt with a t5 any ideas will be great
Old 08-28-2004, 12:46 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: universal joints????

i guess not this forum is starting to suck ***
Old 08-28-2004, 02:05 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

That sounds like a u-joint to me. You can also tell when your driving in a lower gear. You can hear a clunk when you hit or let off the gas. To tell for sure though you have to get under the car and check for play in the u-joints.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

I had a bad vibration when i was accelerating under 1000-2000 rpms. Go under your car and put your hand on the drive shaft and your other hand on the yoke. Move it like your giving someone a "indian burn" like move them both in oppisite directions and if's there play. Replace.
Mine was bad and fixed it and was perfect. Very easy to do. Mark the driveshaft and the yoke because they are balenced from factory then, drop the drivestaft take a socket and a hammer. Knock that baby out then just replace man. Should fix your problem. Unless of course it's just your tires need balenced.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:45 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

I know exactly how to explain it, if it makes the predator noise when you put a load on it, its your U-Joints. Just lift the car up and see if the driveshaft has any play in it. Btw by the predator noise, I mean from the movies, the sound the predator makes, its exactly how it sounds, lol.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:51 PM
blown87Gt
1st Gear Member

ALSO CHECK YOUR DRIVESHAFT BOLTS BEFORE TAKING ANYTHING APART THEY MIGHT JUST BE LOSE
Old 09-03-2004, 05:15 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

well i changed them and the vibration is still there but the funny thing is is when it starts if i give the car some gas it stops but when i completly let off it does it the worst so i don't know what it is now
Old 09-03-2004, 05:16 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

I would change the U joints.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangpower96

well i changed them and the vibration is still there but the funny thing is is when it starts if i give the car some gas it stops but when i completly let off it does it the worst so i don't know what it is now
Now that sounds like excessive backlash in the ring and pinion gears to me. Suggest you get them looked at and maybe replaced if they're worn that badly.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:36 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: stangpower96

Now that sounds like excessive backlash in the ring and pinion gears to me. Suggest you get them looked at and maybe replaced if they're worn that badly.
well i found out what it was see i have a bassani mid pipe and i noticed it was hitting the tranny crossmember but i did'nt pay that much attention to so i went to the local muffler shop to get some slowmasters put back on and a employee noticed it and asked me if i wanted it fixed so i said sure to make a long story short he heated it bent it and wala!! no more vibration but thanks roundman and the rest of you guys for the advice

Quick Reply: universal joints????