5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

whining noise from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

Default whining noise from exhaust

hey all, had recently bought a 92 5.0L mustang LX and have been driving it with no issues for a month or so. The last week in Vancouver we've had a fairly decent snowfall and I've noticed the last couple of days there is a whining noise coming from the exhaust. I can hear it inside the car and when I hunted it down it's coming from the rear end and I believe from the exhaust.

Is this a normal noise caused by cold weather and some ice built up on the outside of the pipes or should I be looking at something else? It's running fine but the noise is worrying me

thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: whining noise from exhaust

Never heard of exhaust whinning... have you recently had a set of gears installed, etc.? It sounds like something that would be associated with your rear, not your exhaust.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

the only thing I can think of is that I'd put a couple of winter tires on the rear (only had the two) Other than that I can't think of anything. It's whining continously which is why I was thinking the exhaust. Should I try taking those tires off and putting the others back on?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:58 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I dont see why it would be the tires but maybe they just give bad road noise or something. It cant hurt to try though. Throw them back on real quick and see if they whine. Do you have tires on your other wheels or will you have to have your tires tranfered?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:01 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

it's making the whining noise from the moment I start it to the time I turn it off (granted I haven't been driving it much in the snow) and it's making the noise without the car moving so I don't think it's the tires. Any ideas what I should check? Keep in mind I'm no mechanic, I can do brakes and filters and spark plugs but thats about it lol

any ideas? If there's something wrong I don't want to do further damage, but it's only started the last couple days (actually after I left it sitting for a full day and the ice has hardened on the exhaust)
Old 11-29-2006, 01:02 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

oh and I don't have winter tires on the front, I only had the two and figured it couldn't hurt to throw them on. The winter tires are about an inch or two taller and cause the back to sit a tiny bit higher, not sure if that would cause any of this
Old 11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

okay, just talked to a buddy of mine who said his truck is doing the same thing due to the build up of ice on the exhaust, so I'll wait until it thaws out (it is vancouver, will only take a couple of days lol) and if it's still there I'll get it checked out. If anyone can think of anything else to check let me know please, just so I can be sure
Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

i'm not sure about ice build up on an exhaust would cause whinning... thats a new one to me..maybe a sizzling but not a whinning... anyways.. if it's comming from the back area of the car it might be the fuel pump. just a thought.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
rez_rocket
1st Gear Member

+1 Fuel pump or gears?
Does it whine at idle?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

it's whining at idle..the fuel pump was just replaced a couple months ago? How do I find out if it's still good? I haven't had any issues with driving it at all otherwise

Quick Reply: whining noise from exhaust