5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car won't run after major mods pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Default Car won't run after major mods pls help!

Ok here is the deal. I posted yesterday about my timing issue and still haven't got it fixed. I figured I would give very detailed info on what I did so maybe someone can help me. I bought a GT-40 Crate motor from Summit. It has the Gt-40X heads B303 cam 9.0:1 compression. I got a TFS Track Heat intake,24# flow matched injectors,BBK CAI, Edelbrock 70mm TB, new IAC,new ACT,new coolant temp sensor,ceramic BBK LT headers,BBK off road H,73mm C&L MAF,and the MAF conversion from Ford.(car is a 1988 is why I had to convert to maf) I know for a fact I installed everything correctly( I triple checked everything). I used my old dizzy but I got the MSD Blaster coil MSD cap and rotor and MSD Super Conductor wires. I finally got it allput together yesterday and went to go start it and it wouldn't start but it would try. I figured it was a timing issue cause the more I advanced the timing the more it seemed like it wanted to start. So I kept messing with the dizzy pulling it out getting the motor to TDC again and dropping the dizzy back in. No matter what I do I can only get it to idle a little rough and then die. Longest it has ran is maybe 10 -15 secs. The idle goes up and down by about 1000 rpms. I understand that with everything I have done I can't expect it to run perfect the first time I start it. I figure I should be able to start it though. I am kinda lost now as I have tried everything I know of. I know its getting gas I know its getting a blue spark. I used the correct firing order. ANY help is greatly appreciated. If anyone needs more details let me know. I would love to be able to take my car out this weekend.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Jared_blown5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Car won't run after major mods pls help!

you said it wont idle.....can you keep it running if you give it gas...say at 2-2 1/2k rpms? or cant you even get it to rev?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

not sure if it could be bad gas, but if it has sat for a while it could possibly be an issue. have you checked things like your tps voltage or clocking your maf(other things that affect idle). maybe one of these is off alot? i only say this because without having the car running, you havent really been able to fine tune some of these.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
jdeaton

Ok Im a total noob, and dont even own a mustang... yet, but ill make a few guesses. Is there compression? The head gasket may have not seated properly. Also, Id check the exhaust to make sure there arent any big leaks... Sorry im not much help.... good luck
Old 11-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Jared_blown5.0
3rd Gear Member

The clocking of the maf wouldnt cause the problem he is describing. Also the tps would cause a surge but not cause it to run "rough" But it is a very good idea to check this...make sure its between .8-1.0 volts with key on but engine not running.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Jared_blown5.0
3rd Gear Member

88black GT...Good point. LOL i was same place he was about a month ago with my 347 setup. Couldnt even get it running good enough to check timing or anything.

Creetan. this may sound stupid but are you positve that:

1.) You have all spark plug wires on the cap, and to the correct spark plug??
2.) When you at tdc are you on the compression stroke? if not you would be 180 deg off

also what did you set your lifter preload at?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jared_blown5.0

you said it wont idle.....can you keep it running if you give it gas...say at 2-2 1/2k rpms? or cant you even get it to rev?
+1, need a little bit more info about HOW the car ran when it did fire up.
-P.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
wine_maker
2nd Gear Member

ok back in time >>> one time I got a grate motor long block with all pans on it
fought for ever to start it ????? By accadent found i had compression on both strokes (compression and non compession)
the builder forgot the to adjust the valves
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wine_maker

ok back in time >>> one time I got a grate motor long block with all pans on it
fought for ever to start it ????? By accadent found i had compression on both strokes (compression and non compession)
the builder forgot the to adjust the valves
DOH!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Jared_blown5.0
3rd Gear Member

lol i heard the same thing happen b4 thats why i ask about the preload on the lifters

Quick Reply: Car won't run after major mods pls help!