5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: WTF???

I agree. But you can have to much power for a manual. Pro drag guys have autos or clutchless shift. But not many will have that much HP. Most of those set ups are not in cars that see the road.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 AM
tehzack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

ORIGINAL: wildsurfer92

pro is right...when the rpms drop so does the boost...and 5-speeds are better imo
Twin screw s/c stays on the boost all the waaaay.

Nobody shifts faster than the computer on a "built" AOD
AOD's don't have computers homie.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

5spds are just more fun to drive
Aaahhhhhh, and there it is, Nuff said!!![8D]
+1. Also, maybe I'm ignorant, but can't a good driver get through the gears just a quickly as someone with an Auto. If I didn't care about my tranny, I could bang gears like it was an auto. I used to drive like that all the time in various other cars. At any rate, I've never taken my car to the track, and wouldn't drive an automatic if you paid me.
Unless your a pro level driver AND the trans has been Pro-Shifted (Google if you don't know) there is no way you will shift as fast as an auto with a full manual VB.
Fair enough...I'm ignorant then. I wouldn't have thought that the time that it takes to shift would make a car slower, compared to an auto tranny which makes the car slower to begin with. I guess if we're talking about dedicated race cars with built trannies, it's probably different--I wouldn't know...I've never owned one. I've just never imagined losing time in a race during the time it takes to shift. Mind you, I'm no racer...just a man who can shift fast when necessary.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

Thats a joke right? What fun is it to get in your car put it in drive and go? (Boring) "If your not cracking GEARS your not having any fun"
Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

+1. Also, maybe I'm ignorant, but can't a good driver get through the gears just a quickly as someone with an Auto. If I didn't care about my tranny, I could bang gears like it was an auto. I used to drive like that all the time in various other cars. At any rate, I've never taken my car to the track, and wouldn't drive an automatic if you paid me.
Unless your a pro level driver AND the trans has been Pro-Shifted (Google if you don't know) there is no way you will shift as fast as an auto with a full manual VB.
Fair enough...I'm ignorant then. I wouldn't have thought that the time that it takes to shift would make a car slower, compared to an auto tranny which makes the car slower to begin with. I guess if we're talking about dedicated race cars with built trannies, it's probably different--I wouldn't know...I've never owned one. I've just never imagined losing time in a race during the time it takes to shift. Mind you, I'm no racer...just a man who can shift fast when necessary.
While it is 100% true that an auto will soak up moe power than a stick what most people don't think about or realize is that anfter market torque converter will multiply torque, in some cases as much as 2.5 times at launch. I am not talking about dedicated drag either, my street car has a 4000 rpm stall in it and it takes a 6 speed with about 50 morte rwhp to beat me in the 1/4. Of course roll races are diferent but they are also ghey so I really don't care.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:55 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

My car is an auto and I really wish I would have bought a 5 speed. I'm thinking about buying a Camaro next August and it will be a 6 speed.

Here is a very fast manual car.
http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...6b00ad9aa9.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...e6325372c5.htm
Old 12-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

While it is 100% true that an auto will soak up moe power than a stick what most people don't think about or realize is that anfter market torque converter will multiply torque, in some cases as much as 2.5 times at launch. I am not talking about dedicated drag either, my street car has a 4000 rpm stall in it and it takes a 6 speed with about 50 morte rwhp to beat me in the 1/4. Of course roll races are diferent but they are also ghey so I really don't care.
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. Either way, I'll never drive an auto...unless I get crippled somehow.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:57 AM
B
2nd Gear Member

haha.. cripples drive autos//

autos are just if ur feeling lazy..

Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: B

haha.. cripples drive autos//

autos are just if ur feeling lazy..

I have no problem admitting that I'm lazy.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I have two auto 5.0's and both are OK. I LOVE them at 7 oclock in the morning if Im taking it to work sitting in traffic but hate it when Im trying to have a lil fun on the street. But thats what stalls and vb's are for

Quick Reply: WTF???