5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:09 PM
mustangcobra94
3rd Gear Member

Default turbo

hi everyone.... i have a couple questions. i want to either supercharge or turbo my car. Is this going to effect my engine life at all? I've been looking at the turbo in the link below and was wondering what everyones opinions is on it. Is it decent or junk?(it's the one at the bottom of the page for 94-95 mustangs). Is a supercharger or turbo better than the other?.... i'm not looking to run a whole lot of boost, i was thinking maybe around 8-10? I was also wanting to run nitrous to, around a 75 shot, is that possible with a turbo or supercharger?.......... My car runs great and there is nothing wrong with it, could i put this turbo on how my car is or would i need to do some other stuff? Thanks for any help guys!! i'll probably have more questions later on.....

here is the link... http://www.turbo-kits.com/mustang_turbo_kits.html
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: turbo

super and turbo charges help your engine, they just make it better. If you don't go too crazy it should improve the life of your engine.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:20 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

the kit looks like it has most/all of the stuff you'll need... other than a kickass set of rear tires :P

did you see the HP Gain on the Dominator Twin System for foxes?!?! 1000hp-1900hp?!?!?! INSANE
Old 12-09-2006, 09:46 PM
mustangcobra94
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the help so far!! any more input??...... i was also wondering would i need a tune?... how much more power difference will there be?? will i be able to feel the difference from without it to with it? thanks for any more help!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:50 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Power difference depends on how much boost you're pushing. As long as you don't run crazy boost, it won't harm your engine as far as reliability is concerned. Also, you will need a tune if you want it to run properly. Don't forget all the supporting mods that you will need such as fuel pump, injectors, MAF, etc. Not only that, but if you are making a lot of power you will need to upgrade your suspension to get anything out of it besides bald tires and smoke.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:28 AM
mustangcobra94
3rd Gear Member

what do most of you perfer as far as going with a supercharger or turbo?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Supercharger is easier and cheaper. Turbo gives you more power but requires more supporting mods, and there is more to it, though it gives more power. Someone said you can double your stock HP on a stock block with a turbocharger. A Vortech S-trim (9 or 10lbs?) is good for +90-110hp on an otherwise stock engine, with supporting mods.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:57 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

yes a good 9psi intercooled turbo kit will double your rwhp to 380-400rwhp

engine in good condition will take it, but yes you shortening it's life span..... how
much depends on you and your tune.

I would recommend the Hellion kit.
www.hellionpowersystems.com

BEWARE: most turbo kit companies are VERY bad about delivery. 6months is not un-common
Hellion's claim to fame is kits in stock.

the SN95 1994 version is still in R&D, but they told me couple months back that
they expected to have it out for sale soon after the new year.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:07 AM
1fast97gsx

that kit doesnt mention anything about bigger injectors or anything to tune with. I see it has an upgraded fuel pump and a afpr, but that will only help fuel delivery to a certain extent. You could probably piece together a kit like that yourself for around $2000. That's what I'm doing with mine.

If I'm understanding this right, only the passenger side manifold is spooling the turbo? The driver side is just a normal shorty header? Sorry, I've had some boosted dsms in the past, but never a turbo V8. Won't that cause premature valvetrain failure on 1 bank due to the different amounts of back pressure between both banks? Or is the backpressure still the same?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:56 PM
mustangcobra94
3rd Gear Member

would it be smart to get the supporting mods done first? like the fuel pump and injectors before even getting the turbo or supercharger? Will my car run okay if i do these mods but don't have a turbo or supercharger on it yet? Also, is it possible to turn the boost down real low on either one if i don't want to have boost sometimes, but then sometimes i do? or is that not possible? I ask that because maybe it would help keep my engine going longer if i'm not always driving with boost...... thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: turbo