5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WHAT THE HELL IS IT?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT THE HELL IS IT?????

ORIGINAL: KILLA E

So i just completed a engine swap from my blown 95 motor to a used one from an 88....anwyay fires up and idles great,but when i give it gas it vibrates the whole car.... So my question is,i used my old harmonic balancer with my new motor...was this stupid? i also had to customize my timing chain sprocket so that i could use the timing chain cover from my 95 because if i didnt,the water pump from the 88 stuck out too far and wouldnt line up with the other brackets and pullys, so is it my balancer that is vibration?? or what the hell!! cant drive it till i figure it out....please help!!!

What did you do to it?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

is the balancer tight? motor mounts tight?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 PM
KILLA E
2nd Gear Member

Yea 2 kwick, motor mounts are brand new and i cranked the damn balancer to torque specs.... As far as 5.0 stranger question on the timing cover, This is what i did: I bolted all my brackets and accesorys from my 95 to the 88 motor,they all lined up fine EXCEPT the water pump pully stuck out TOO FAR then the rest of the pullys,so the belt wouldnt line up at all, So what i did was take off my timing chain cover from my 95 so that i could use my old water pump and the bolt pattern would line up...HOWEVER when i tried to put the '95 timing chain cover on over the 88 timing chain, it WOULD NOT go on all the way because of some damn thing sticking off the upper timing chain sprocket, SO what i did was break off the little metal thingy that came off the washer that was under the bolt that held the gear upper gear on and THE COVER FIT NOW... i then bolted everything on and put my '95 balancer on the 88 motor because it looked LESS worn out.....so yea....dont know
Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

are you talking about the keyway/alignment pin for the sprocket?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:32 PM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KILLA E

Yea 2 kwick, motor mounts are brand new and i cranked the damn balancer to torque specs.... As far as 5.0 stranger question on the timing cover, This is what i did: I bolted all my brackets and accesorys from my 95 to the 88 motor,they all lined up fine EXCEPT the water pump pully stuck out TOO FAR then the rest of the pullys,so the belt wouldnt line up at all, So what i did was take off my timing chain cover from my 95 so that i could use my old water pump and the bolt pattern would line up...HOWEVER when i tried to put the '95 timing chain cover on over the 88 timing chain, it WOULD NOT go on all the way because of some damn thing sticking off the upper timing chain sprocket, SO what i did was break off the little metal thingy that came off the washer that was under the bolt that held the gear upper gear on and THE COVER FIT NOW... i then bolted everything on and put my '95 balancer on the 88 motor because it looked LESS worn out.....so yea....dont know
We got to know what it is you broke off and whether it could be causing the balance issue. In the mean time, you should put the balancer on that goes with that motor so you can rule that posibility out.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

The piece had to be broken off?? That doesn't sound right....

Was the flywheel on the engine when you got it? Was the engine stored or did you pull it and stick it in right away? Maybe yiou have a warped flywheel?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

Was the flywheel on the engine when you got it? Was the engine stored or did you pull it and stick it in right away? Maybe yiou have a warped flywheel?
I think you meant to reply to the OP and not me, right?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 PM
88 notch
1st Gear Member

You said you had new motor mounts, did you use solid mounts? Solid mounts will make the whole car vibrate off of idle and on hard acceleration!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MACDRIVE

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

I think you meant to reply to the OP and not me, right?
Yeah, not you. Unless I am quoting someone, I will just hit the fast reply and it will say in reply to the previous poster.(that must have been you)
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
KILLA E
2nd Gear Member

yea the alignment pin, but i didnt break off that part,just some piece that stuck out from the washer out toward the timing chain cover, it didnt seem drastically important....i guess ill put the old one on tomarrow...

Quick Reply: WHAT THE HELL IS IT?????