5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
88 GT CONV
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: smoke!

valve guides?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

rebuilding enegines is actually pretty easy, especially pushrod v-8's. So if youre somewhat mechanically inclined Id say give it a shot.
-P.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92Mustanglx

ORIGINAL: 88MustangGX

mine was doin the same thing. it could be the rings or the valve seals. i just took my engine out and am overhaulin it. mine only had 95k on it [:@]

i'll be honest, it was a so simple to take it apart and take it out of the car. unfortunatly you can't tell whats wrong with it unless you tear it down. good luck
you sure it wasent 195 or 295?
ya know unfortunatly i couldn't tell. for all i know there could have been a 1 or a 2 in front of it haha. o well! i have it stripped down to the bare block now and the cyl walls and crank look to be in great shape
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

rebuilding enegines is actually pretty easy, especially pushrod v-8's. So if youre somewhat mechanically inclined Id say give it a shot.
-P.
+1
Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 PM
88 GT CONV
2nd Gear Member

Well, P Zero, like i said i've never gone this deep into a car, but would absolutely love to learn. I just bought the car 3-4 months ago, and would HATE to have to get rid of it. I really cant afford a rebuild, and parents are NOT an option!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

I have a similiar problem, Here is the steps i plan on taking when i get a chance....

1. Check compression in order to make sure my rings aren't going bad (surprised nobody said anything about compression check)
2. if compression is still good, then it's either valve guides or valve seals, if compression is bad, probably rings (not likely since it only has 10,000 miles on the block)
3. remove heads and take them to machinist to have new valve guides pressed in and new valve seals installed, possibly stiffer springs since the person i bought it from did not get the upgraded springs on the AFR 185s he put on.

4. Reinstall...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
88 GT CONV
2nd Gear Member

I think im going to sell it...

My reasons:

1. I want a hardtop
2. I can get more than what i payed for it
3. Already have people interested
4. freakin smoke tops it off
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Signs for valve seals are usually at start up and when engine braking, rings you'll notice when on the throttle...especially higher RPM. Just because you're seeing smoke does not mean the engine is a goner...my old 200,000 mile mill had a terrible thirst for oil near the end, was a chain smoker under the gun but still managed 'decent' hot oil pressure, 'decent' power, and relatively good milage right up to the day I pulled her. Basically if you can live with the smoke (likely because you have no choice right now) and pressure is good, then simply start to save for the rebuild. Quite honestly at 200,000 the motor is going to have both seal and ring issues among other things and a rebuild would be prefered, but not required.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dman302

Signs for valve seals are usually at start up and when engine braking, rings you'll notice when on the throttle...especially higher RPM. Just because you're seeing smoke does not mean the engine is a goner...my old 200,000 mile mill had a terrible thirst for oil near the end, was a chain smoker under the gun but still managed 'decent' hot oil pressure, 'decent' power, and relatively good milage right up to the day I pulled her. Basically if you can live with the smoke (likely because you have no choice right now) and pressure is good, then simply start to save for the rebuild. Quite honestly at 200,000 the motor is going to have both seal and ring issues among other things and a rebuild would be prefered, but not required.
So Dman, you've seen oil burners last a good long while, huh? I ask because every vehicle I've ever owned, new or used, has burned oil to the tune of a quart every 1000-1500 miles...including my current 5.0. I've never kept any vehicle long enough to find how long a motor can last in spite of that kind of oil usage. That's why I'm asking. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 AM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Well like an old tractor...they'll run till somethin breaks...burning oil may look terrible, may not be enviormentally friendly, may not be optimum for performance or gas milage, but if all that's wrong with it worn rings then no reason she can't continue on for a surprisingly long time. Conditions that cause oil usage really don't affect engine life, you can burn a quart a week and still see excellent pressure and have the bearings be in A1 shape.

Quick Reply: smoke!