5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default Dash Lights

I have a 1991 Mustang GT 5.0 ... Tonight I was driving home when I noticed that my gauges weren't lit up. I turned off the car and turned it on, my air bag light came on, along with my seat belt light and emer. brake light. My gauges still worked properly, they just weren't lit up. Could this be a fuse blown out? or did my bulb burn out? If someone could please help me out I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks a lot ahead of time.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:13 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dash Lights

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

I have a 1991 Mustang GT 5.0 ... Tonight I was driving home when I noticed that my gauges weren't lit up. I turned off the car and turned it on, my air bag light came on, along with my seat belt light and emer. brake light. My gauges still worked properly, they just weren't lit up. Could this be a fuse blown out? or did my bulb burn out? If someone could please help me out I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks a lot ahead of time.
did these lights stay on because if they did'nt than that is normal but it just sound like the bulbs went out in your dash which is an easy fix but im not sure if it could be a fuse it might even be a short somewhere hard telling just start simple and go from there
Old 09-06-2004, 03:50 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

No they did not stay on, I just meant that they were working properly. How hard is it to change the bulbs? Where do I start? Do I have to pull the dash apart or what? I am definately going to check the fuses.. just odd that they went out all of a suden...
Old 09-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Did you check the brightness ****? Sounds crazy but never know
Old 09-06-2004, 10:12 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Yeah I did, no it wasn't that, that was the first thing I checked... How would I go about changing the bulbs? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:52 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

well if you have a haynes manual than just look up how to get the gauge cluster out than once you get that out than the bulbs are right in the back of the cluster which is a very simple job should only take about 30 min.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:13 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangpower96

well if you have a haynes manual than just look up how to get the gauge cluster out than once you get that out than the bulbs are right in the back of the cluster which is a very simple job should only take about 30 min.
you have quite obviously never pulled the intrument gauge cluster out of a Mustang! If you had, you would never have said it would take only 30 mins. I've had mine out numerous times and even with all the right tools and know how, it takes me at least that long just to take it out and put it back without doing anything to it. in the future, please refrain from making comments about something you know nothing about please!
91hatchgt, you will need a philips head screwdriver, a torx head screwdriver, two small flat bladed screwdrivers, either a right angle philips head screwdriver or a 1/4" ratchet with a short philips head driver inserted into a 1/4" 6 point socket, and some patience to get the cluster out. they are numerous bulbs in the back and the chances of all of them failing at the same time is pretty remote, so I would check for the fuse first.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:30 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Yes, I have now noticed that even the AC component lights are out, so I am PRETTY POSITIVE that it is just a fuse, I will replace it tomorrow, but I am also writing down the instructions on taking out the pod JIK i need to do it someday... Thanks for all of your help and time though you guys....
Old 09-07-2004, 06:17 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

actually i HAVE pulled the guage cluster out of a mustang im sorry if you are so slow that it takes you and hour just to get in your car look you need to watch the flaming and just shut up with the "you have never done it before" bs people like you really need the hell beat out of them and no im not mad just giving you my opinon just like you did me and roundman if you have a problem just send me a little pm and we will talk about it now have a nice day
Old 09-07-2004, 09:22 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Sorry about that! From the way you told him what to do, it sure as heck sounded like you hadn't done it before yourself and I was just trying to make him aware it isn't that simple is all. It's hard to tell sometimes when somebody knows what he's saying because he has done it and when they are giving an unsupported with experience opinion about what to do. I'll try not to do this to you again!

Quick Reply: Dash Lights