5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:19 AM
supercrewser13

Default What to look for

Hey all i have an opportunity to pick up a 93 mustang 5.0 gt. Since you all are so knowledgebale what are some signs that i should look for on the 5.0 and my bigest worry is what are signs or a fixed bent frame or a bending frame or frame work was done. Also if the tourque boxes are really messed up what would it cost to get it repaired and reinforst. Help me out all.
Heres a link to the Mustang
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...2&aff=national
Any one have a free car facts that i can get
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What to look for

your link doesn't work.
if the torque boxes are really messed up stay away.
if the frame was bent i'd stay alway from it and look for another.
you could get a good used foxbody 5.0 for the price it would cost you to fix the torque boxes and frame.
there not that expensive.

You might also search www.autotrader.com
Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Green91GT

I actually bought mine off ebay. Did my research on the car and spoke with the seller many many times over the phone beforing doing it. Made the poor guy send me like 50 pictures of the car. Good luck to you!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rwh129

if the torque boxes are really messed up stay away.
Torque Boxes? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Depending on how bad the torque boxes are they can be fixed but its not cheap. I got quotes around $700 to do my boxes including parts & labor. Thats about normal, give or take. Anyway, tearing torque boxes are also a sign that the car has been abused. If you drive your car "normal" (like the average person) your torque boxes will not tear. Tearing torque boxes are a sign of hard launches and that means that your car was abused. Honestly, I would stay away. I didnt see the link but from what you are saying I dont think that I need to. Keep looking.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Check body and paint. In the long run, that will cost you more than all of your mods, etc. If it needs some mechanical work and you're up for it, then you can get it for a little less. I agree w/ checkitng it structurally underneath as well. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:21 AM
supercrewser13

thanks guys for the replies yeah i looked underneath and it is all solid did not see any rust really tourque boxes are in good shape axle seems to never been ripped off or out basically the worst part is the front right fender was in an accident and there is a dent on the bumper. thats about it. I am going to go put a refundable deposit on the car tommorow. I am so so siked i hope no one beats me to it because this car is a start of a new leaf with me. Any more things that i should be concerned about look for. ETC
Old 12-19-2006, 03:40 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

check for rust mostly. the hatch likes to rust. also check the shock towers down farther, they like to rust too. mostly just make sure they did regular maintenance on it. thats the biggest factor in longevity of cars. a 5.0 will last forever if it is well maintained.